RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Liad Bar-EL, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    During your celebrations with family and friends, it’s best to repeat this post as a reminder to those who may have read it in TH and to inform those in TM who have not yet read it.

This is not an urban myth!

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

During a BBQ, someone stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ - had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke perhaps Ingrid would be with us today.

It only takes a minute to read this-

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed and getting to the patient within 3 hours which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank G-d for the sense to remember the "3" steps. Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

NOW DOCTORS SAY A BYSTANDER CAN RECOGNIZE A STROKE BY ASKING THREE

SIMPLE QUESTIONS:

1. *ASK THE INDIVIDUAL TO SMILE.

2. *ASK HIM OR HER TO RAISE BOTH ARMS.

3. *ASK THE PERSON TO SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (COHERENTLY) (I.E...IT IS SUNNY OUT TODAY)

IF HE OR SHE HAS TROUBLE WITH ANY OF THESE TASKS, CALL PARAMEDICS IMMEDIATELY AND DESCRIBE THE SYMPTOMS TO THE DISPATCHER.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.

BE A FRIEND AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH AS MANY FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE, you could save their lives.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    My wife would have you add one more question to that list, Liad...

ask the victim if their vision is OK or if they are seeing double or blurry.

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Toots - maybe I missed it somewhere, but recently you have alluded to your "late" wife. Did you lose her to a stroke? Was this recent, or am I late in recognizing this? If this is the case and your wife has passed on, I am sorry for your loss, truly. I had no idea. The holidays must be a rough time for you. I know this is kind of personal, but I had to ask and let you know someone cares. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think that I am. I send some spiritual warmth your way this very chilly time of year.

Kindest regards, Alex

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Thanks to you both for that information. I hope I never have to use it, but it is valuable to know things like that!

It is also important to know CPR. That is one of the most unselfish things a person can learn since you really can't perform it on yourself.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ahh yes.... CPR. Are you aware that they have now changed the "rules" for performing CPR? A lot MORE chest compression and a lot LESS assisted breathing. If you haven't recertified recently, check it out.

Alex... no problem. All is good. You haven't really missed anything but I recognize that it could be confusing (NO! I don't have two wives!! LOL). Check your messages. :D

Chimo!

6. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I was thinking about performing chest-compression on someone, recently; but, I know she would slap me senseless.

Robert Rowe

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Priceless Robert. :lol: