Recognizing a True Trumpet Master

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by gzent, Dec 18, 2005.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I would like to start a discussion on how you go about recognizing a true trumpet master.

Even though we have seen a number of posters lately on Trumpet Master who appear dedicated to causing upheaval, I want to say thanks to the vast majority of posters who are genuinely willing to help others in the trumpet world and are positive contributors to TM.

There are a number of true Trumpet Masters like Manny Laureano, Wilber Wise, Ed Carroll, Nick Drozdoff and Leigh McKinney who deserve special thanks for their contributions of time and instruction here on TM, that's for sure.

However, there are many others that have been very helpful to developing players that may not immediately come to mind.

One person I would like to recognize as a "True Trumpet Master" is Tom Turner. I have not met Tom in person. I only know him from his posts on Trumpet Master, Trumpet Herald, TPO and discussions we've shared through emails.

I am not going to do a "This Is Your Life" type of thing here. I just want to say that as a member of TM Tom is a very knowledgable man on many trumpet related topics who has helped countless people resolve issues. As the moderator of the Vintage Trumpets/Cornets forum he can answer all your questions about older horns.

Also, as a member of TM with 440+ posts and 3000+ posts on Trumpet Herald, Tom has always been a fine example of a southern gentleman who is true to his word and respects those around him.

Even though people have disagreed with Tom in the past, including myself, he has always been respected for his integrity and patience. That is one way to recognize a True Trumpet Master - even when you disagree with him you still respect him and consider him your friend.

For that, I say Thank You to Tom Turner - a True Trumpet Master.

Greg Zent

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Wow!

Thanks for the very kind words!!! I don't visit the Lounge forum very often and this was quite a surprise.

This was a very nice thing to post, you made my day! I've always enjoyed talking to you too, both on the forums and in PMs. Hope to meet you someday!

Warmest regards,

Tom

3. rbtrumpet08

rbtrumpet08 Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2004
    since i am more of a heralder than a master, i would say you are a true trumpet heralder, but it just doesnt have the same ring to it. but i agree. you certainly are a great person. there are suprisingly a lot of great people on TH and TM that are great people. we have not gone to waste like a bunch of other forums.