Recommedation on a horn that I'm just going to give away

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by musicallychallenged, May 12, 2009.

1. musicallychallenged

musicallychallenged New Friend

May 12, 2009
    Hello. I need some advice. My wife heard that one of my daughter's friends (who we've never met) would like to play trumpet in the middle school band but her family's too poor to buy her a horn or even make the $15 monthly rent on an instrument. Now, my wife being the softie she is, told me to find this girl a trumpet. She said we could pretend that we've had it a long time, never used it, and that she could "borrow" it indefinitely so that her financially-struggling parents wouldn't feel like we were treating them as a charity case.

My wife has no idea was a decent instrument costs. I was lucky and found a 1970s York student(?) trumpet on eBay for $60. It looks great but needs some soldering and needs a valve job. I also know of a guy who has a slightly used First Act trumpet that he'll part with for $60. I know. I know. This is probably a piece of crap instrument that originaly sold at Walmart but it's nice and shiny and makes noise.

I would like to help this kid out because I believe that music instruction in public school should be a right and not a privilege for only those who can afford it. Also, it would get my wife off my back. However, I'm by no means rich or I would buy every kid in town an instrument. I would like to get out of this as cheaply as possible and still look like the hero.

Any suggestions?

Thanks (and sorry for rambling on).

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you are going to make a choice between the two, I would buy the York and let the First Act go. I have some experience with these Wal Mart horns and they are really junk besides if you or whoever ever needs parts they will have a terrible time finding them. The First Act horns are really throw-aways once they need anything done.

3. musicallychallenged

May 12, 2009
    I already bought the York but really don't have the resources right now to get it into decent working order. That's the only reason why I was considering throwing $60 away on a Chinese-made piece of junk.

Are there any organizations out there that offer free instrument rentals to needy kids in public schools? If not, there should be.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I wouldn't give a piece of junk trumpet to a kid to learn on, whether it's a worn-out horn (a valve job will run close to $300, BTW) or a relatively new TSO. That's the best way to discourage them - a horn that doesn't play/work right. I gave my nephew a mid-60's Conn Director cornet when he was beginning last year. Bought it on eBay for about $50, had a few dents taken out and new corks and pads put on it. It plays surprisingly well. I say do it right or don't do it at all.

[​IMG]

5. musicallychallenged

May 12, 2009
    TSO? Is that trumpet-shaped object?

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    My personal opinion: I would feel better about an older-model student horn.

Trumpet Search | 1970s Trumpets

Trumpet 1960s | For Sale 1960s Trumpets | Trumpet Search

Could just be me, because I have no familiarity with today's beginner's horns. I knew kids back in those days that played these kinds of horns and didn't sound too bad.

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    It's pretty easy to find a good deal on a used Kanstul-made Besson student model (BE-609) or the next model up the chain (BE-709). Either can often be had on eBay for under $100; just ignore the listings asking for several hundred bucks for one of these. They're good, solid horns, and better than you might expect.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    hey, i suggest if you can, find the thread decent, inexpensive horns (or however it goes). It has a great list of cheap horns.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I would consider finding an older Yamaha student model - 23x, 23xx, which are in plentiful supply on eBay - there are several under $100. They are terrificly sturdy and playable horns - ideal for a beginner. Parts are easy to get for any minor work needed.

I gave one away under similar circumstances last year - it made the student and his family very happy.

veery

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    IT IS SO CHOOL WHAT YOU ARE DOING that it makes me shout! Keep at it, and keep us infromed. Chool,chool,chool!