Recommedation on a horn that I'm just going to give away

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by musicallychallenged, May 12, 2009.

1. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    You can find decent Olds Ambassadors on eBay for under $100. Definately a good buy.

2. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Great choice. Maybe one like this?

Yamaha Trumpet Used

3. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Another good suggestion. I gave lessons to a niece who had one like this. I thought it played pretty well:

Olds Ambassador Used

Why do they make an Olds, but not a Buick?
    ...or Cadillac?

4. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I have been playing for YEARS and still use my Ambassador. Cheap, great sound, highly replaceable!
    highly Recommend.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well done for being prepared to do ANYTHING. You are a great bloke and your wife deserves a couple of Atta Girls too - give her a hug. See if you can talk to the band director, who may be able to help. I hope you get some response to your plea - many TMers are generous souls. Easy for me to make suggestions from a distance - but you are an inspiration. :thumbsup:

6. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Getting the valves redone is not cheap, a minimum of $300 to have them replated. Are they discolored, perhaps a shade of brown or green which would indicate the plating is too thin, or just scratched up?

If they are in need of plating then the horn is not worth fixing.
    I 2nd those who say to find an Olds, but make sure it has non-stained valves.

If you send my some pictures of the horn and the valves I could better estimate what needs fixing.

Greg

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I've done the same thing, all on EBAY. I picked up a 50's vintage Holton cornet for $40 that I'm "loaning" to a student. My best finds have been Getzens. I have a trumpet and cornet for which I paid about $60 each. I keep one at each of my schools. Getzen 300's and 400's are underrated and their valves are just about as good as their pro horns (which is very good).

9. musicallychallenged

musicallychallenged New Friend

May 12, 2009
    Wow. Thanks for all the great responses. I think I'll try looking for an Olds Ambassador on eBay and keep the York for myself as a fix-up project. Maybe I'll even learn to play it someday.

10. musicallychallenged

musicallychallenged New Friend

May 12, 2009
    Um, thanks. Nobody's ever called me an inspiration before.

Like I said earlier, this is my wife's idea and I'm just trying to get her to stop bugging me so I'm looking for an inexpensive, decent, playable horn that she can "loan" to this girl can so she can play in the school band. The Olds Ambassador seems like the popular choice.

And now my wife (thanks in part to some of the responses in this forum) is thinking of starting up a non-profit organization that provides used but serviceable band instruments at no cost to schools in poorer communities where students might not otherwise be able to afford them. I really hate when she comes up with these ideas because a) you can't argue with her logic or motivation, and b) I usually end up doing all the legwork.