Recommedation on a horn that I'm just going to give away

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by musicallychallenged, May 12, 2009.

1. musicallychallenged

musicallychallenged New Friend

May 12, 2009
    Thanks to all for the recommendations. In the last week, I've spent just over $200 and got the following:

Late 70s/early 80s King 602 Cornet

Early 80s Old Ambassador Cornet

1973 York trumpet (not a scratch or ding on this baby, just 2 sluggish valves)

Recent nickel or silver colored Barrington trumpet (made in Taiwan but highly recommended by some TM members as a decent starter horn)

Now my daughter can honestly tell her friend that her Dad has more horns than he knows what to do with and that she'd be welcome to borrow one indefinitely so she can play in the middle school band.

I'm going to learn to play one of the three remaining so I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor to these forums.

Thanks again.

2. Bill Martin

Bill Martin Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2009
    Id (summer) CA (winter)
    Way to go! I really like what you are doing.
    Let us know of your progress in playing these!
    Bill Martin

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nice going musicallychallenged - I think you are going to SO enjoy your new endeavour - you are going to be musically challenged a lot - perserverence and very regular practice (a little bit at a time is good to start).

Try and get a teacher, learn to clean your horn and mouthpiece. Chat to your daughter's Band Director and see if you can get help that way - I'm sure the BD has contacts with tutors (who BTW often quite like "mature aged" students because of the intelligent focus and the realisation that instant gratification is a myth).

Expect your daughter and her friend to advance MUCH faster than you.

Aim to join a community band (playing with high school kids is a blast because they are not hypercritical of you playing) - a good target at this time of year is to prepare to play Christmas carols THIS Christmas - don't be fooled, I am offering you a HUGE challenge - is doesn't seem much, but it is. Don't expect 1st chair anytime soon - third chair is realy quite nice.

So first things first; and then:

Clean the horn,
    Get a tutor,
    Set some realistic goals (I've offered a couple),
    Ignore comparisons between your and your daughters advancement,
    Practice, practice, practice,
    Keep asking questions - there is NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION,
    Get into a band (many will better than you - but you WILL improve),
    Aim for carols THIS Christmas (they are harder than they look because the music is different to what we think we should sing),
    A band is a team - there is no "I" in team, and ABOVE ALL ELSE:
    HAVE FUN. :thumbsup::play: