Recommend me a good song to audtion for

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mild_Child, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Mild_Child

Mild_Child New Friend

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm auditioning for a thing in the All Cities Junior band at school...and I need a piece to play at the audition. it must be 12-24 measures long and :lol: I dont listen to trumpet music so someone recommend me some decent song (and possibly give me some sheet music). I can play in Concert Bb, F, Eb and have been playing for two years thanks.

2. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    That would put you at what...7 or 8th grade? Well, the only suggestion I can think of at the moment is to, if you have the Arbans book, pick a piece from the characteristic studies section. Just find one that you are comfortable with, since some of them are challenging with only 2 years behind you.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Mild- First, talk to your teacher about these:
    1. Belwin Master Solos, edited by Keith Snell
    2. Solo Sounds for Trumpet (various composers)
    There are some good solos in those collections that you can pick a small section of, in the length you mentioned. Then, if you choose carefully, you can use the entire solo for your spring solo festival.

My next suggestion would be that you start listening to some trumpet music, and some great singers, and some great viloinists, and some great sax players, and some great orchestras, etc. The more you listen, the better your musical concept will be, and the better you'll play.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mild-Child,
    you could also pick something from the band literature that you already play. Your band instructor could help you pick out some suitable 1st trumpet part and rehearse it with you. He has the advantage that you will be able to play it even better and you can kill 2 birds with one stone(or 2 sax players with one mouthpiece)!

5. Mild_Child

Mild_Child New Friend

Dec 28, 2006
    Can you recommend some good music by any of those? How will my music concept change?

Guys, k i'm running out of time and I still don;t have any of those books, it's christmas break and I haven't seen my teacher in two weeks, and the auditionis next week, can someone just recommend me a decent song and hopefully show me some free sheet music of it?

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    How long have you known about this audition?

Why don't you just call your teacher on the phone and run over to his house and get a copy of whatever it is you need?

Don't you think your teacher might know you and your playing better than a bunch of strangers on the internet?

ML

7. masterfulmusic29

masterfulmusic29 New Friend

Dec 15, 2006
    Play a section of Haydn Movement 2 it isn't hard and is very easy to find. If you want to really do this trumpet thing you need to bite the bullet and buy some sheet music.

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Mild- here's a start of some top flight trumpet players (most, if not all, can be found on iTunes. Please buy your music; don't do the kazaa thing...it's stealing):

Maurice Andre
    Ed Carroll
    Wynton Marsalis
    Minnesota Orchestra
    New York Philharmonic
    Chicago Symphony
    Berlin Philharmonic
    Atlanta Symphony
    Empire Brass Quintet
    Meridian Arts Ensemble
    Philip Jones Brass Ensemble
    Miles Davis
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Clifford Brown
    Charles Lazarus
    Trent Austin
    Tower of Power

Your musical concept is shaped very much like your language was: all by listening and immitating. All these players are products of what came before them; many future big names are products of these people. Listen to the way they shape phrases, use vibrato, approach the music, articulate. Listen for their unique musical personality. A really cool thing to do is try to find several recordings of the same tune or piece, and listen to different players' approaches to them.

For future reference, the time to begin tracking down music for your audition is the very day you find out about it. Discuss it with your teacher at your very first opportunity (maybe right after band or at your first lesson or before homeroom the next day or the end of the day, etc.) And don't be afraid to call your teacher at home. Most of us are more than happy to help out any way we can. I would suggest, due to the time constraints upon you, that you use something you already know...maybe an excerpt from your last concert that shows your strengths.