Recommendations for Concert Band Scores

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ComeBackKid, Jul 5, 2010.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As I have noted before, part of my comeback attempt (still trying) was to join a community band. The one that I joined is quite large (over 100 members, 12 trumpets) and we play a mix of patriotic (standing engagements for holiday concerts), "Oldies" (Red River Valley, Texas Star, etc.), Marches (Sousa and others), with some fun things thrown in such as a medley of theme songs from TV cartoon and sitcom shows). We have members with varying skill levels ranging from professional down to wannabe's like me.

The band does not charge dues so there is no money to buy new scores except what the band director buys or members buy and donate. I decided I wanted to donate one and the director said that was fine but did not say what to buy. He has taught High School music for many years and is rather opinionated so I don't want to buy just anything in case he doesn't like it.

I was thinking about something like Ravel's Bolero and I went online and found many different scores available but I can't tell from the description which one would be appropriate for a band this size and skill level. I doesn't need to have a trumpet solo although I think that would help as the director is also a trumpet player in another band.

Does anyone have a recommendation that is sure-fire winner for a band like this? Also, based on a recent hotly-debated thread dealing with copyright issues, I am concerned about whether the purchase of the score (some of which are $150 or more) includes any performance rights and if not, how would I obtain the rights? The listings do not mention anything about that matter.

Thanks for any ideas that my fellow TM friends may be able to offer.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    When I played with concert band (French horn) the favorite pieces were selections from the shows, Oaklahoma, West side Story, Chess, Fioralllo, Showboat are some that come to mind we played, they went over well with the audience.

Performance rights do not come with purchase of music, the amateur non profit groups I belong to pay an annual licence fee to the Australian Performing Rights Association, I think it may be similar in the USA.

Regards, Stuart.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    A Concert Band arrangement of Birdland is a great piece of music.

4. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    You might try "Pride of the Fleet" by James L. Hosay. Great concert march, grade 4 with enough work to keep everyone occupied and yet be accessible to all levels of players. He was the former Staff arranger for the Army Band and I think he publishes through Curnow Music.

I direct a band much like yours and if you want to PM me I will send you and Excel file of our library.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The wind band arrangement of the Valdres March is a fun piece and has a variety of good trumpet parts in it.

6. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
  7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Stuart and Ted - Thanks for the ideas. I will check them out.

Sturmbill - Thanks for the offer. That sounds like a great idea. I will PM you for the list.

Dale - Yes, Valdres is a great piece. In fact, it is one of the items in our repertoire. I appreciate the suggestion.

Greg - Thanks for the link. I somehow missed it when I searched earlier (the search routine here leaves a bit to be desired). I will review the items there.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, Ok...how 'bout Light Cavalry?

9. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I purchased the score to the American Overture for Band by Joseph Willcox Jenkins when I was attempting a french horn comeback. It is a beautiful piece if you have french horn players with the chops for it. I paid under 60 bucks for it last year.

10. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Our band played a song called Aurora Awakes last year. It is mostly only difficult for the lead woodwinds, it is light on the other parts, and it is a cool song IMO. It is also definitely a concert band song, so your director shouldn't have any problems with it.
    You can listen to it here (save the file if opening doesn't work): Aurora Awakes

American Elegy is also one of my favorites, and it has a very cool trumpet solo in (not really difficult though). This one is also clearly concert band. You can find it on youtube- it is much more famous (composed by Frank Tichelli)