Recommendations for Concert Band Scores

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ComeBackKid, Jul 5, 2010.

1. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
  2. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
  3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    That's some good stuff. CBK, if you can pm me your email, I'll try and forward a spread sheet of the music we have played in the KCB for quite a few years. Sure to give you material and ideas. You can also listen to our play parts of many tunes at Kalamazoo Concert Band

Incidentally, we have gotten a note from our director that the KCB has been selected by the Association of Concert Bands, as one of five to play at their convention in Muskegon, Mi, May 11, 2011. Selection was made by blind listening by the judges. Quite and honor and will focus us next season, our 50th.

4. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    Another composer you might check out is Samuel Hazo (Samuel R. Hazo - Composer - Symphonic Band. Orchestra, Wind Symphony). I have done his works in Honor/Regional bands and they are very good works. A particularly good one is his "Voices of the Sky".

Makes a nice change from the usual warhorses and is readily accepted by the summertime-concert-on-the-lawn crowd!

Bill

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    We did "Ride" a couple of years ago and commissioned Sam to do an original number to premier during our 50th year celebration. I think April 16, 2011 is the date. We are looking forward to all our special concerts next season.