Recommendations for Trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Graham, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, a little while ago I bought myself a used King 606 trombone, with the intention of teaching myself how to play it.

I got a copy of the Arban's for Trombone, which seems to be quite good, however I was wondering whether or not there are other books out there which could be of some value to me? It's mostly a matter of training the appropriate embouchure, and gaining a CONCRETE association of notes to their slide positions (which I know will come with time and practise, lol)

Have any of you guys taught yourself trombone? And if so, what did you find the most beneficial?

2. FlugelNoob

FlugelNoob Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    When I switched over to the euphonium, for the first few weeks, I played loads of long notes to get use to the embouchure and also because I had to adapt to long,soft and heavy breathes instead of the fast,hard and light ones I took when I played trumpet.

I am just sharing my experience because the trombone and euphonium MPs are quite similar.

3. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I doubled on trombone in high school/college. A piece of advice my HS band director gave me (he was a trombone player): When learning the positions, get the slide in position, hold it there, then tighten and relax your arm muscles 4 to 6 times while holding it in position. He said it helped to build muscle memory. Seemed to work for me.

Steve

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  5. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks guys!

Happened to find myself in a second-hand bookshop today and I found a "Standard of Excellence" book, and a copy of Blazhevich Clef Studies and also Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Practice in Bass Clef, all for about $20

They should provide some helpful resources!

6. lushcot714

lushcot714 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    San Juan, PR
    Well, if you are going to start playing trombone and know nothing about it, Why you dont get a teacher to guide you thru? I'm sure there had to be some one in your area, freelance musician, High School music teacher or even a church band music teacher who will be please to help you out in the biggining. If no none is available then I recomend the Yamaha Essential Elements 2000 for trombone. My daughter plays violin, Sax and clarinet and she wants to learn oboe. We got this book and she was playing in no time and got so proficicnet that now she is the leading oboe player in the symphonic band here. I'm getting it myself for electric bass. Try the book and if you know music, I guess you do, it will be easier this way.