Recommendations on transcribing a song?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Dec 23, 2012.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Recommendations on how to go about transcribing a song to notes, and how to determine 1st / 2nd parts?

A friend of mine said I could try to work on a song to play with his group where he would do the 1st trumpet, me the 2nd trumpet. The song la sonora dinamita - Carmen I have a few notes down, but looking for suggestions on how to figure out the notes. So far unfortunately the only notes I have done are because he came the first few but I would like to figure out the entire song. As well as how you normally take the first part and work out a 2nd part from it?

2. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I'll get that to you soon. Not too difficult if you figure out what key.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Transcribing a song implies you have a song to listen to from which you can transcribe. Then you need to find out if there is a second instrument part that harmonizes with the first... if not... you get to be creative with the harmonizes, thirds, fourths, fiths, mix it up.... but here is the first question:

Do you have a song in mind?

4. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Should be B major / 5 sharps.

One of the other guys mentioned something like the following:
    b d# f# f# f#, c# e f# f# f# repeat 2 x's then b f# f# f#, a# g# a#, b f# f# f#, a# f# g# repeat.

But that might be the top part because the other guy was having me play something like F# F# B B B then F# F# Bb Bb Bb but I don't have much after that.

5. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    @gmonady Yes the song is titled Carmen and appears to be by la sonora dinamita I have found the song on You tube with varying success of how clear the song sounds... I suppose I could try to look for their CD or download a better recorded song but I thought it might be a good exercise to work on anyway.

My current Jazz instructor has me working on things where (as an example) I take something like we wish you a merry xmas, transcribe it and learn it across all 12 keys. That one I cheated a bit and a much easier task to do. For the exercise above, I mainly just want to learn the entire song in its primary key, which right now appears to be B major (for trumpet) But learning how to be proficient of taking a song and playing it any key is good, I'm just a long ways from being there.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What song are we trying to transcribe here? Does it have a name?

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What other guy? Second/Third question... does the video on YouTube have a second harmony part? I am getting so corn fused... and I would really like to help. I am a details oriented kind of guy.... And a bit crazy too:bleah:

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just a bit crazy ???

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Song title: Carmen
    By: La Sonora Dinamita