Recommendations on transcribing a song?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Dec 23, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

OK... 2 parts crazy, one part passion. A dangerous combination.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When you try to hit snowflakes with a baseball bat, I'll know you're really batty. Too, don't hang on the runners of Santa's sleigh hoping it would tilt and more gifts will fall out ... I don't believe you'd survive the drop or the plop when he lands on a roof top.

I know I'm off my rocker ... it's presently sitting empty on our front porch.

Yes, I'm certifiably crazy to continue to play my horns, but Medicare won't pay for the notarization.

Joy to the World! That's lots of happiness to all.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Or flakey!

4. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    It really started as a 2 part question and so the 1st part would be

1. Help on transcribing the song Carmen by La Sonora Dinamita
    2. The second part is after you transcribe a song, how do you work out a 2nd trumpet part?

(So obviously normal band playing you might have a 1st and 2nd trumpet part although in this song I don't know if they necessarily do, but don't know that for sure.) The friend of mine said that he usually played the 1st Trumpet part and another guy that played Sax (I think an alto sax Not sure...it's the straight one that looks like what Kenny G might play :-P ) Anyway, he said that the other guy playing the sax typically played the equivalent of a 2nd trumpet part.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The straight sax is a soprano, pitched in Bb, so if you can get the sax player to write it down or if he has the part, you are golden. On YouTube te song has the 2nd trumpet playing 4ths and 3rds below the 1st trumpet. Mostly (don't know what key) dominant (g in C), 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd where the lead is playing Tonic, Dominant,%,%,%.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Saxophones; Soprano Bb, Alto Eb, Tenor Bb, Baritone Eb, don't know for sure about a bass and never have known of one

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    We had a bass sax in our HS band. It was on wheels.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Goodness me, there is such an "animal"! Moreso/also a contrabass and a subcontrabass. While my daughter plays the reeds and flute & piccolo, I don't think she'll "pop" for one of the basses ... she got a shoulder strap rig for the new baritone she got in 2010 to relieve the neck strain. In HS concert band we let the two bassoonists and tubas cover "down there" and used neither in marching band, substituting the Sousaphones for the tubas.

9. whyit

whyit New Friend

Aug 12, 2012
    Corona CA
    No, you really cant tell if someone is flakey just becuse they are swinging a bat at snowflakes. However if you catch someone batting at a snow flake you can almost be certain they are off their rocker. Unfortunately you have to know someone in order to tell if they are flakey. Add one to my post count, thanks:D

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I use to hit many with a ping pong paddle, until my brother caught me. It was his paddle. Still, my "experiment" was a waste. I couldn't keep all the snow from piling up on the ground.