Recommended or Favorite "Restoration & Repair Shops" (Who do you like and why)

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by ReynoldsC, Feb 12, 2012.

1. ReynoldsC

ReynoldsC Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2009
    Jackson, Missouri
    I am starting this thread for people to list their Recommended or Favorite "Restoration & Repair Shops". There are several people that do very good work and why not make a list of them. When somebody needs work done they can search and refer to this master list. Lets post a picture of their work, some reasons why you like them, how to get hold of them, and let's keep it to actual experiences you as members have had. I will start.

Phillips Music Corp :thumbsup:
    17668 State Highway B
    Kirksville, MO 63501
    (660) 665-5889

My 1938 York "Air Flow" Trumpet (top horn in picture) & 1939 York "Air Flow" Cornet (bottom horn in picture) restored by them.

Before shot of the 1939 York "Air Flow" Cornet bell damage

[​IMG]

After, both horns
    [​IMG]

They are about 90 miles from my house. The reason why I picked them (over the other people and there were several) was on the recommendation of my local music store, they have been sending them instruments for 40 years for major restorations and repairs, it is a family owned business, been in business since about 1946, I saw their work and their work and feedback on EBay, good price for repairs, quick turn around time, and they really listened to me on what I wanted. On both horns, I wanted complete dent work and solder repair, but did not want a harsh polish job. I wanted the horns to shine but did not want to sacrifice any brass metal for the integrity of the horn and also change the voice of the horn. I also did not want the engraving dulled or smoothed out; I wanted it just as sharp as it came out of the factory. There were also creases in the bell of the cornet that went through the engraving and it had metal stress. I was very pleased with the work and would recommend them myself. At my request, they even did a custom lacquer tint job that made the horns look older. They have a very nice warm golden color like a horn about 15 to 20 years old. Since the horns are vintage, I did not want them to look like reproductions but beautiful mature ladies of class.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tom Green,

Green's Buffing
    59598 Park Side Dr.
    Elkhart, IN 46517
    (574) 875-8231

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

codyb226 likes this.
  3. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
  4. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    Dan Oberloh....if you are on the West Coast he is one of the best. Not cheap but very reasonable for what you get in terms of quality workmanship. Located in Seattle.

He's lately busy because the Tuba guys from all over the world have him doing a lot of total reconstructions (he plays tuba in a local group)....but well worth the wait. Especially good for tricky mechanical work. Dan can totally reconstruct tubes or re-manufacture parts, and even has made odd parts on like the knurled locking/adjusting barrel screw on my King Artist Bore Silvertone tuning slide that developed a crack. He has even resurrected car flattened horns....I've seen him do this. Incredible machine shop.

A good shop to stop in and chat...very straight shooter and willing to talk about what is needed. I don't have gorgeous pics of anything that he has refinished for me but he has my 1963 King DB Silversonic right now.

Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
    958 N 127th St # A
    Seattle
    (206) 241-5767

Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works

5. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Tom Green +2

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Southeastern Musical Services in Huntsville, Alabama. They are local (which is nice) and do very good work at reasonable prices. Pictured below is the last rebuild they did for me, but they've also overhauled an Olds Ambassador cornet (customized), and Olds L-12 flugel, a '55 Mt. Vernon Bach trumpet, and numerous other custom touches and minor repairs to horns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.southeasternmusical.com/page/page/2665134.htm

3308 9th Avenue
    Huntsville, Alabama 35805
    256-539-5906 Fax 888-707-4849
    Hours 8:30 AM - 5 PM Monday-Friday

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  7. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Dick Akright -- Oakland, California
    You may also obtain information by telephone at
    1-800-727-3822, or by e-mail to [email protected]
    He did a real nice job taking all the dents and scratches out and refifinishing my Olds Ambassador in a satin finish!
    I was very happy!
    I sold this particular Ambassador for $$$$

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  8. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Second Dick Akright

9. amzi