Recommended Repertoire for Classical Beginner

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by BPinard, Aug 4, 2005.

1. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    I've been playing trumpet for five years, but I didn't make ANY progress for most of that time. It took a great jazz teacher to stir my interest and get me to practice. I LOVE jazz.

Anyway, I'm looking for some classical pieces that I should know as "standards." I already know of Carnival of Venice. I would really appreciate some names of great classical players to listen to ( I already know Manny!).

Thanks so much!!

:)

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maurice Andre
    Ray Mase
    Rolf Smedvig
    Tim Morrison
    Wynton Marsalis
    Timofei Dokschitzer
    Eric Aubier
    Armando Ghitalla
    Tom Stevens

Standards --

Haydn - Cncto in Eb
    Hummel - Cncto in E
    Neruda - Cncto in Eb
    Kennan - Sonata
    Hindemith - Sonata
    Halsey Stevens - Sonata
    Telemann - Cnctos
    Torelli - Sonatas
    etc.

Orchestral

Any Mahler, Strauss, Bruckner, Wagner, Stravinsky, Rachmaninov, Shostakovich

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Without knowing what sort of standard of player you are, it is very difficult to recommend repertoire for you to try.

As well as the "serious" pieces such as concertos and sonatas, I would take a look at the recital type pieces that exist in the trumpet repertoire.

Some that I use with my students are:

Bernstein - Rondo for Lifey
    Bozza - Badinage
    Street - Rondino
    Arutunian - Aria & Scherzo
    Bohme - Russian Dance
    Ropartz - Andante & Allegro

Philip Smith (who is a name you should get to know) has recorded two CDs comprising some of the lighter recital repertoire. One is released under the New York Legends label, whilst the other is released through the International Trumpet Guild - if you are not familiar with the ITG you should check out their website - www.trumpetguild.org - probably the finest trumpet resource on the web. There are suggested repertoire lists on there, as well as a superb "youth" site which I recommend to EVERY player - some superb articles and some truly outstanding advice.

If you want further suggestions, I have a stack of CDs that I will happily add to a listening list - but for the moment I hope that the above suffices.

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    First things first.
    All the requisites must be in place. How is your basic control of the horn? How is your sound? Can you say you have control of multiple tonguing? Are your transposition skills in place?
    These are the skills required for a beginning classical player.
    Wilmer