record midi files

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BILL VAN, Apr 27, 2009.

1. BILL VAN

BILL VAN Pianissimo User

Jan 29, 2007
    Pompano Beach
    Hi, There is a web site that has midi files and I want to record a song. How do I do this? Do I have to get it on I tunes? I am new at this but do have the equipment to do so. Thanks

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Not exactly sure what you're trying to do. If you go to a website that has a link to a Midi then you should be able to right-click on it and save it to your computer.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Can you be more specific about "recording a song?" Do you want to add a trumpet to an existing MIDI sequence and record it? Do you want to write a MIDI sequence to play a trumpet line you have in your head? The answers are different, depending upon the actual question. Please elaborate on your actual goal and the equipment that you have and i will try to help.

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    When you say that you have the equipment,
    what exactly is that equipment?

Recording a song could mean:

* Copy a midi song from internet
    * Copy a midi song from your computer to your mp3 player
    * Record your own playing trumpet with a microphone
    and convert it to an mp3 file

There are web sites easily found where free midi files
    are available.
    If you want to make your own trumpet recordings in a
    microphone, then you´ll need a program like for instance
    Cubase.

Please explain so we all can help you . . .:-)

5. BILL VAN

BILL VAN Pianissimo User

Jan 29, 2007
    Pompano Beach
    There is a song on another site w/o melody just back up. I have a blank cd I can put in my computer and record it.Or how do I get the song in my comp then record it?

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    * You can COPY it to your CD.
    * If you have a soundcard with
    its own sounds, you can also HEAR it
    although the sounds on soundcards
    usually suck.
    * If you have a program like Cubase
    or another so called Sequencer, you
    can hear it with sampled sounds or
    synths connected to this sequencer.

I´m sorry I can´t make the world more simple . . .

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Any sequencing program will play the sequence, as will Windows Media Player. The best way to do it would be to right click on the sequence and choose "Save As", then save the MIDI file to your computer. I usually save them to my desktop for simplicity's sake. There I work on them before saving the changed sequence (different key or arrangement) to the file folder I want it in. For clarity, the best idea would then be to convert the files in the sequence to audio or WAV files. Once they are a WAV file, then if your speakers are of siufficient quality you can play them back and play along until you are ready to record. The simplest way would be to plug a mic into the computer and record using Windows Sound Recorder. Of course, once you have the MIDI sequence sounding like you want it to, you will instead want to use a top quality mic and better recording software, like ProTools or Sonar.... something like that. There are many roads you can choose from to get where you want to be. Hope this helps.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use "Easy Beat" for Macintosh OSX to turn midis into .wav files for making CDs. It is shareware, you can play with the orchestration and tempo, and me the one that NEVER reads the instruction books (except if they have a picture of a trumpet on them) got it to go in less than 10 minutes.

A similar windows sequencer would be:
    Anvil Studio Catalog

Here is a good list of what is out there:

List of MIDI editors and sequencers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia