Record score: Wynton, Dokschitzer and Andre!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Jan 18, 2014.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I found a great set of records at the thrift shop today. Wynton's "Codes from the Black underground," Andre's "Four Trumpet Concertos" and an old 1975 record from USSR titled "The Incredible Trumpet Virtuosity of Timofei Dokschitzer." My favorite is the Russian one. What a great record! I have to post a couple of these on YouTube for y'all! If you have ever heard Nakariakov's "Elegie" album, you'll notice some of the same songs on this record. I can see where Nakariakov got his greatest influence.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Many people complain about the the scarcity of good classical solo trumpet pieces and yet Dokshitzer's contribution to the solo trumpet repertoire is rarely mentioned. Not only did he make many fine arrangements of works originally written for other instruments, he also commissioned or promoted a large number of works from less well-known Russian composers (Perskin, Shakov, Vainberg, Nesterov etc).

I've picked up a few from this site, and from my experience so far they need to be better known in the West

Editions Marc Reift : Collection+Timofei+Dokshitser

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I owned the Dokshitzer lp in the what . . . late '70's. Wish I still had it. Bought it somewhere near Pasadena if I recall correctly.

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Yeah, I'm a 'youngin' but I love the LPs.

5. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Props on your finds! Post 'em in High Quality all in their entirety on YouTube.