Recording a tune

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jaemard, Jan 31, 2013.

1. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Well, got my first assignment today. I was sent a piece to practice and record by next Friday: The Irish Washerwoman. Any tips on how to get it absolutely perfect, besides the obvious practice practice practice?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What are you using to record?

3. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    No idea yet. Worst case scenario, it will have to be a smartphone.

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Well you need to record in analogue on a reel to reel tape...digital is bollocks.

5. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Will a wax cylinder suffice? I'm sure there is a old phonograph around here somewhere...

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    If you have a PC, I can recommend Audacity - a free digital recorder. Opinions will vary about digital enhancement, but you can add a touch of compression, echo etc to make sure that the assignment sounds as good as possible. Do you have a metronome? (if not there are smartphone apps to do the job). I find that practicing with a metronome is a lot more rigorous than without (it's almost like having your teacher looking over your shoulder).

Regardless of what you use, I suggest that you record practice sessions - you never know, you might capture a performance that is suitable to submit.

best of luck

tj

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    +1

Audacity is free. A touch of echo perhaps, ABSOLUTELY record practices. KEEP ON RECORDING until you get a perfect take. The practice of listening to what you just played will open your eyes to how you actually sound and will make you a much better player. Been there

8. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Another +++ for Audacity. It's cross-platform as well, so even if you're a oddball linux geek like me, it's still available. Just the slightest bit of echo, and don't touch the levels.

If you're stuck on a smartphone, PCM recorder (Android) works brilliantly. I use it for writing, to take notes on ideas when I just can't write them down. Then it just depends on the quality of your phone's mic.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would advise against tweaking it. It isn't going to be for sale (yet, anyway!). I suspect that the assignment is either to see if you can play it without mistakes or force you to actually listen to yourself. Maybe both. Just provide the raw sound and practice, practice, practice.