Recording and Posting!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Andddd gonna be recording my performance of the Hindemith (mvt 1) today, playing in about an hour and half!
    What's the best way of showing videos on here? Link to youtube, or is there another way I don't know about?
    Also, once I get the video on here (which should be around 2pm) feel free to give criticism, as I will be performing the piece again for juries at the end of the semester.

Thanks!
    Mark

2. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Alright, here goes:

I had some nerves, and went last, so it was a little shaky til my chops started to warm up into it. You'll notice the video sometimes cuts the sound off (before I actually cut off a note). Apologies for the poor quality, but it was the best I could do!

http://youtu.be/7ZpHVi62C4s

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mark, as kind as I can be, I do not believe you want to leave this recording for others to hear. IMO your audio was warping.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    OK, here goes:

In general: orchestral attack needed, notes held to full value except when otherwise marked, "stick" the notes like an ice skater (even slurred), hear the intervals before you play them, play "meaner" (note how often minor thirds appear; emphasize accordingly), drive through to ends of phrases, 12 and 123 combinations sharp, triplets not precise, dynamic contrasts almost non existent (might be the mike), rhythms played "too casually," very poor use use of air, rhythms need to be subdivided.

Specific: The last two quarters before rehearsal mark 3 should be tenuto with a slight cedez, 9/8 bar before rehearsal mark 6 was rushed, from rehearsal mark 10 through 12 should be ruhig and be contemplative (uhh, it sounded like circus music).

On a scale of I-V (I being excellent) I'd give that performance a IV if I sat on the jury. (My professor was Gerald Webster, very critical, very good for me.)

So tell me Mark, what is the meaning of Mvmt. I? What is it all about?

5. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Hey, I asked for advice, so thanks!

Mvt. 1 I see as an unyielding power, for the most part. Aggressive and steady, with some contrasts coming from the softer sections. I see most of the power coming from the time.

I don't have the music on me now, but I will heed your comments when I look at it again

6. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Also, could you clarify:

Orchestral Attack
    What demonstrated poor air usage in an obvious fashion
    "Sticking" the notes

Your comments and criticisms are very much appreciated

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What story does it tell? What was happening in Germany and Hindemith's life at the time this piece was written? What political picture was he painting?

1. The rotary valved trumpet has a rounder attack than the piston version, so orchestral players adopted a sharp attack with a quick decay--in other words, more accented.
    2. You missed too many easy notes--if your air was functioning properly you wouldn't have missed so many easy intervals.
    3. "Sticking the notes" means hearing the interval and reducing the length of time between the notes. Check out the Stamp book.

Thanks for taking constructive criticism so well--a valuable trait in a trumpeter!

8. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    To be honest..I don't know the story behind it o.o
    Allow me to read up on that...

I've recently started singing and buzzing the piece, so perhaps that will help? And yes, I agree I definitely should not have missed as many notes as I did!
    I'll take a look at the Stamp book, as well -- I've heard of it, but what is its focus (just curious) ?

If I don't take criticism, I'm only slowing down my progress. I respect honest criticism much more than a "good job" that's not deserved, so thank you

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the lighting sucks --- who's running that video???? rule number 1 to photography is to never have the sun in the background!!! look, the way I see this video is that all the cute chicks, won't be able to see your handsome young face and associate you with being a trumpet player!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

sorry, no critique at this time, since I didn't watch the whole vid --- and the mic (sound, echo chamber, etc.) , screws with my already poor hearing, but I can see the lighting problem!!!

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Please take this critique in the spirit is is being given - in a friendly, non- insulting manner.

Post less and practice more.

VB hit on the key points. You must know what the meaning is of the music you are playing. Also, be very aware that Hindemith could actually play this work on a trumpet. He was a virtuoso on viola, but had the remarkable ability to get through every piece he wrote for other instruments on that instrument. They weren't virtuoso performances, but he could play them.

What mouthpiece were you using? You've been experimenting with Asymmetrical pieces and did you go back to a conventional rim to play this? If so, you totally confused your embouchure. If you like the asymmetrical pieces for lead, find one that works for your more legit work. If possible, see what John Lynch can make for you. Your embouchure is not trained well enough to bounce from an asymmetric to a conventional mouthpiece. The vibrating surfaces of your lips will not be in the same place making it difficult to center the pitches. That will cause missed note after missed note.

Despite the poor quality of the video and audio, your difficulties were apparent. It isn't that you don't have the technique, you gave the impression you were not fully prepared to perform this very angular piece. VB gave you a 4 on his scale. That is what you would have received from me as well.

Post less/read less here and practice more.

RT