Recording and Posting!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Mark,,

Listen to Vulgano, and write down everything wirtten: explore, research and incorporate everything he said, and it will help emensely. I can't wait to do exactly what you are doing, and get that type of quality feedback.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Technical issues aside, it sounded pretty lifeless to me. Sounded like you were just trying to make it to the end. VB's question,"What does the story tell?" is spot on. Why do singers forget the words to the Star Spangled Banner/National Anthem? They're just singing a song and not telling the story of the battle for Fort McHenry (War of 1812). Artistic interpretation shows me whether you are "into" it or not. Here it seems you are not. Keep practicing!

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I think you have more than enough feedback to digest. Allow me to extend a compliment to you.

It is difficult to accept criticism when it is directed at our work.... especially work that you have a significant investment of time in. You have accepted the comments with grace and without rationalization. I look forward to the player you will become with that kind of attuitude. Keep on with the pursuit of your dream.

4. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Your request to have us make comments is very impressive and the best advice I can give is for you to view your tape once a week and note the errors you made. You might want to notice that most of your errors were on the faster notes. This is common for we tend to give more importance to the long notes and less to the faster notes. Every note is equally important.

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thank you all for your comments!
    I wanted to respond to Richtom's in partcular

I was using my usual 3C, which is what I practice on 95% of the time. I don't believe the asymmetric has been causing an issue, but you may know more about that than I :dontknow: My belief is that I didn't take enough time to warm up, which caused SOME errors, though this is clearly not the cause of most of my issues.

I don't believe this is my best playing, at all, but there are certainly great points being brought up about style and bringing the piece to a higher level. I acknowledge that this would be hard to do without the appropriate preparation, so I will certainly do more towards those ends, because I agree with Richtom that I wasn't, and so I will be dedicating more time and THOUGHT into this piece. Thank you again for your thoughtful comments!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I would really like to see the sheet music to that. I hear your chops not collapsing but your lungs and breathes not utilized. Watch this guy for a little inspiration...Notice the way he's doing breaths periodically and supporting each measure...Yeah, easier said than done...Don't feel bad. At least your not reading music at a fourth grade level like I am.

Hindemith - Sonata for Trumpet - 1st phrase.mov - YouTube

7. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    My opinion is that you may have prepared for the piece, but not for the performance. There was nothing casual about your taking of the stage; the nuances are the first thing to go and the basics the second.

As an aside, I teach my guitar students 'performance guitar' which is not just technique but carriage as well.

I know for me, when I stop paying attention and stop 'singing the tune' in my head, that's when my intervals go south and I hit wrong slots. When I am totally involved in the music, those sort of things happen less.

I'm lucky - I teach at a Trade school and I am as eccentric as can be, so I have my horn with me in class, in the halls, all over. All the time. It's become part of my work persona. I don't teach music either...

But congrats on getting out there. Advice? Get out there more. Put yourself with or in front of people more. It's not the same in the closet as it is on the front porch....

8. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    [Every note is equally important.[/QUOTE]

-hmmm, I don't think so. I think the most important note is... the next one! :lol:
    Always look ahead.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hate to do Mark's homework for him, but Hindemith preferred no vibrato--otherwise, spot on!

10. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I looked into the Hindemith some:

I see that it was written prior to World War II, and the first movement seems to be about the growing Nationalism and pride of the German people, overdue after all the harsh reparations of WWI. Also in there is this other, more subtle (at first) movings of evil/supposed Nazism/Fascism that was seen during the time period. So, we see a sort of intertwining of good and evil (almost a corruption?).

With that in mind, I'm thinking the introductory motif is representing the nationalism, which makes sense, with the fanfare-like style. Later down the page (where it drops to pp) there are many minor seconds and minor thirds, I recall..this would probably be the beginning of the "evil", which grows up into the harsh triplets and dotted-eight sixteenth figures (still chock full of m2's...which I clearly should've been harsher with >.<)

After that section there's a quieter section that doesn't quite match either the intro or the "evil" section, but seems to ME to be similar to both, full of m3's and smooth, but also containing some fanfares, as well.

With all that in mind, I think the rest of the movement 1 speaks for itself relatively clearly. Am I on the right path?