Recording and Posting!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    And FYI I've been listening to Hardenberger's and Steven's recordings of the Hindemith for a while, if that helps any?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Very good, Mark!

At rehearsal number 7 I hear that as an approaching siren (European style minor third thingy), but an excellent job in finding what the composer intended!

Congratulations! Now all you have to do is hear in your head what Hindemith heard in his and convey that to the audience--piece of cake!

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thank you! Interesting thing about the siren, though now I know what you're talking about (like a British siren, right? Though clearly German would fit ^.^)
    It really does make it easier, now I see what was intended... instead of trying to make it just sound "pretty" (which I think made it sound "blah", looking back) I think I can put some more art into this. I'm sure of it! I'm going to try to go through, too, and make sure those minor intervals get due attention.

Practicing has also been going well, even more relaxation in the chops has allowed better air (and tone) from what I can tell, which is encouraging. Also, multiple tonguing has improved. I want to make sure to record this once more before the year is out, and post so we can see progress

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The things that went through my mind, while I listened ... and it won't be as organised and well said as a few of the pros here
    1) The attacks ... it felt ( literally, I was had the feeling) you weren't letting the air flow on the attacks and you were trying to guard them by closing off your throat or something.
    2) The feel ... I felt like you could have worked it a bit .. or drawn me in
    3) I wondered if you had a big jazz band reheasal or something the night before ... random thought
    4) I felt like you were worried about your tone ... which does have a nice core by the way.
    5) I felt like the pianist was playing so soft that you were holding back ... I don't know how good she is or if you had worked with her much. My impression was it really effected how you played. My reflex would have been to aim my trumpet off to the side so I wasn't burying her. I could be all wet.. this is just my gut.
    6) I loved that you posted this, and your spirit to VB's comments and others is impressive .... good for you!
    7) When I use to throw in some vibratto on my classical pieces my trumept teacher would put his index finger on the valve of his trumpet. Then rock it back and forth ... he would ask me if I knew what it was. I would say.. vibratto.. he would say NO, it's Italian ... and don't do it.
    I have enjoyed this thread and learned quite a bit from it.
    Thanks for sharing ... we used letter grades when I was in school ... A-