Recording in the practice room

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vern, May 25, 2010.

1. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I recently started recording everything I do in the practice room with a voice recorder. Why? Because I was frustrated that it was so easy for me to pick out flaws in other trumpet players but very difficult to pick out my own-until now. For example, when I play the Bozza Caprice I thought I sounded like Thomas Stevens. Well, on playback I sound nothing like Thomas Stevens (surprise!!!). My playing flaws are very easy to hear on playback. I really hate to record myself because it is somewhat depressing but on the otherhand it seems highly educational. Anyone else have this experience or have a comment?? Thanks....

2. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    From time to time I record my playing, and yes, it is a humbling experience.

3. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I started doing video of myself. That way, I can see if I am having multiple problems such as breathing control, posture, etc. Also, I can see as well as hear any successes I have in tone, sound, interpretation, etc.

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I started doing video of myself. That way, I can see if I am having multiple problems such as breathing control, posture, etc. Also, I can see as well as hear any successes I have in tone, sound, interpretation, etc.

If you think hearing yourself is humbling, you ought to see yourself being foolish.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Trumpet playing will make you a humble man.

6. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Hearing yourself while not playing is really important to understanding how you sound. Unfortunately, when we are playing the air pressure in our throats affects our hearing--like popping your ears in an airplane. Congratulations on recording yourself, it is a lot easier fixing things when you know there's an issue and recording removes a lot of mystery.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are going to record yourself, start with really easy stuff. Our problems show up there too, but we have an easier time fixing them. As we get better, then we can start recording the hard stuff too.

I prefer a metronome to checking a recording. It helps me build the skills in a playing situation, not intellectually afterwards. That seems to work much faster and I avoid the ANALysis that leads to paralysis syndrome. Once I am content with my progress, the recording returns me to humble.

8. trumpet addict

trumpet addict New Friend

May 29, 2010
    Video is a great idea. I've hear taping your torso portion helps show if you're breathing properly or not.

Also I would plug whatever I'm playing into finale, then export it into smartmusic. Then record myself over that, which helps me see what notes I'm fumbling on. It can also give me a grade, of how many notes I miss. I find this useful when doing those arban etudes, by trying to improve my grade each time I record.

9. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Anyone have suggestions on what (inexpensive) equipment for recording in the practice room? I'd like to be able to send over the internet. Thanks.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Get Smart Music