Recording Interpretations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by adohanian, Jun 13, 2005.

1. adohanian

adohanian Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2005
    boston
    Hi Manny,
    I read your posts about recording Beethoven symphonies and my question is how much flexibility is there in the interpretations during an actual recording session. I don't just mean this particular recording, but in your experience is recording a matter of rehearsing, maybe performing a specific piece and then in the sessions simply trying to execute as well as possible without really changing anything, or will an interpretation ( ie balance, articulations, tempos etc) change and evolve once people start hearing the playbacks? I hope I articulated that clearly enough. thanks

adam

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    What a great question!

It really depends on the guy with the stick and how experienced he is. The best conductors will allow for the variables of mic location, orchestra rearrangement, and occasional tempo fluctuations and make up for it with zest and verve that doesn't let up.

The best conductors have a game plan and know what they're doing well ahead of time so that what you've done in performance is reflected at the session. A great producer is his best ally. A great recording will have a sense of sponaneity even though there's so much playing of several passages repeatedly.

It's tough but gratifying when you have a first class producer and conductor.

ML