recording practice sessions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jim miller, May 22, 2009.

1. jim miller

jim miller Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    I have been reading on Trumpetmaster about recording your pratice sessions. Is this a good idea for improvment?? and if so---what kind of equipment is neccessary exspensive--digital--tape?? what would be best & what would accomplish the goal?? Ideas?? Info?? thanks--jim

2. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I use a Zoom H2, works great. It's a humbling experience. A USB microphone works well, too. Not quite as convenient.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

If I got a USB mike, that would be perfect for doing it always,
    I use the built-in mike on my MacBook and audacity to record it.
    All you need is a computer with a mike! I find it helps a lot when working through problem areas (also, if it worked that well for clifford brown...)

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I occasionally record myself playing different parts of duets so I can later play with myself. What I mean is...Oh nevermind.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I'll bet you really have fun then.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    a recording is a set of ears that does not lie. When you start playing for the microphone however, you end up concentrating more on the technical instead of the musical side. So, like most things in life, if used with caution, it can help us iron out problems.

I think the most important lesson is NOT just to play through things on tape. Pick short passages and perfect them. That is how a good teacher does it too.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Oh hell yes! It will level whatever misconceptions you have about how good you are. It will show you what needs work, and sometimes, it will show you just how good you are when you get it just right. I use it extensively on students and myself.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have a lot of music minus one CDs and I use Smart Music. Smart Music is the easiest way and it's pretty cheap.

When I record with the Music Minus One, I use head phones. This helped a lot with tuning and hearing what it sounds like on the other side of the bell.

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I'm assuming that you play obliquely and don't point your horn at the mic?

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't know if this was meant for me.
    I have a mike stand that holds the mike below the stand pointing at the bell.