Recording Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    I know there have been many post about recording practice and recording in general. But I have a few questions anyway.

First, I just got a new laptop and I have really enjoyed incorporating it into my practice. I have had sheet music on it, used BIB, and now I wanna use it to record. So, what programs (relatively inexpensive) and mic does anyone recommend to record straight to PC.

Second, what is the best set up if I am wanting to use this system to record me practicing but then turn around and record my Brass quintet playing a few pieces. I don't wanna overload a mic or get horrible sound quality.

Oh, and it has to be very portable.
    JR

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    When I tried to record onto a PC I remember it not working well. I think I was using audactiy. The problem is there is no pre amp, or amp, something like that. It was very soft.

If you have a MAC I think you could use garage band and it would work great.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I record myself on a Zoom H4 recorder and don't bother about programs and stuff...It works fine for me. I believe that Zoom H2 is also very easy to use. If you want to hear the results, you can check out few clips I recorded with it. They were not edited, just as recorded by the H4. BrassUniverse's Page - TrumpetCity Some of the clips were recorded in my living room which is relatively small which made the trumpet to sound a bit dodgy...

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I recommend Smart Music. If you are a member of ITG it cost 25.00 a year or, if you link it to a teacher that has it. If you just get it, I think it's 100.00 per year or 10.00 a month.

Go to Smart music.com and look around. Even if you get it for a month, it will get you started with recording and you can try mikes and see what the computer can do.

6. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Try a USB microphone (I have a Samson but there are others) and Audacity. It works quite well and costs less than $100.

For ~$200, the Zoom H2 is hard to beat. More portable, and in stereo.