Recording Quality

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetrunner11, May 22, 2011.

1. trumpetrunner11

trumpetrunner11 New Friend

Jan 21, 2011
    I'm trying to make trumpet multitracks like this:YouTube - ‪Hey Jude - A *Taylor* Trumpet Multitrack‬‏. I'm using a shure sm57 and audacity (the guy in the video is also using a sm57).

For some reason, I can't get the same sound quality as in that guy's video. What tools should I use on audacity to fix this? e.g. compressor, equalization, normalize, reverb, leveler?

How should I use those tools?

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    You could practice more to improve your sound! LOL!

I think that kid used alot of effects, so no telling what he sounds like in person. Why not ask him directly on his Facebook page? Then you know right from the horse's mouth... so to speak!

Are you using a USB interface, or some kind of external mixer?

3. trumpetrunner11

trumpetrunner11 New Friend

Jan 21, 2011
    i hav an adapter for my sm57 dynamic mic to plug directly into my computer.

also, that guy doesnt reply to his facebook or youtube pages. ive left a few posts already

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I ordered an SM57 last week, and the Shure X2U USB thing. Have not got software yet, other than Adobe Soundbooth.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    interesting!! -- I have similiar problems when recording on Audacity -- have the same mic set up as you do. I will keep watching

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Wow, sounded pretty good in my book. Hope this thread uncovers some of the tech behind it.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay trumpetrunner11 ... can you explain "how" it doesn't sound the same? Is it distorting? Does it sound too thin? I have used an SM57 with Protools and find I have to play very close to the mic to get a full sound. I also use some reverb to soften it up a bit. My interface is a Profire 610 . When you use a usb port I believe it goes through your sound card ... you can't have any better resolution then your sound card will provide. If it has settings make sure they are set pretty high. I can't tell you the specs but if you look around you can find out.

8. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Post what you're recording. We'll be able to see if it's the mic or your playing...

9. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Just for the record, an SM57 is not a particularly good mic for recording a trumpet. I would also be very doubtful that a direct-to-USB interface could compare to a real mic preamp, but without knowing exactly what your sound quality issues are.
    The first rule of recording is GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). Not referring to the player, but the actual audio signal going into the computer.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Duane >>> I heard the same thing about recording the trumpet but he did qualify the question in context of a video where someone was using the SM57 which makes me think it has something to do with the interface settings or soundcard.