Recording Quality

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetrunner11, May 22, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A few companies who seem to produce some ok stuff that's inexpensive for someone like you or me who is dipping our toe in the water but doesn't want to fork over the bucks is Behringer, ART and Marshall/MXL. I've got stuff from those companies, and you are right - I don't think they do much R&D and it's mostly cloned stuff made to a lesser standard. I'm not going to feel too badly about taking advantage of products that are already out there. I own some of the better stuff too, so I suppose it balances out.

I just put down a vocal track using an MXL V67G Large diaphragm studio condenser. It's no Neumann U87, but it also costs about $3300 less than a Neumann U87, and for my purposes it seems to be just fine. :D

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    There is a noticeable difference between the clones and the SM58. Even the PG58 (Shure's own clone) is inferior to the original. This is most critical when used with vocalist who have powerful voices. The clones may work fine for your particular needs, but don't fool yourself, it's like comparing an entry-level Winston horn to a French Besson.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've never used two 57s or 58s that sound just the same - there is always going to be minor variance. The question then becomes is it just different, or is one truly better? Some people actually prefer the sound of the clones, and I'm not just talking uneducated new users - I'm talking veteran sound men who know what they are hearing.

Sorry - we've kind of taken this off on a tangent according to the original topic, which was quality of the recording and how to get that sound.

4. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Threads have a way of veering off-target. For better insight on pro audio stuff, try this forum:
    ProSoundWeb Community - Index

but be prepared to be toasted, as most of us who post on PSW are sound professionals, and some can be a bit "intolerant". Great source of info

Incidentally I've been involved in pro audio/lighting for over 40 years, and it is still one of my two current professions.