Recording software for Windows

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Can anyone recommend recording software? My laptop has recording software, but the sound quality is not good. My flugelhorn recordings sound like a muffled alto saxophone. I know my playing is not very good, but my sound is not truly reproduced with my laptop. Perhaps it's the Radio Shack microphone that is being used.

I like to record my practice sessions, hopefully to listen to what is not so good, as well as what is being done right.

I listen to various sound clips on YouTube. Many of the recordings sound like they were done in a studio.

Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What sort of a microphone is it? Inexpensive? That could be most of the problem ... Almost any recording software can give decent recordings, at least.

Turtle

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Its the mic that mostly matters - probably some softwares are better than others (I just use audacity) but you can only get so far with a low-quality mic

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, the mic is a $40 Radio Shack model that looks like a Shure knock off. Perhaps Shure builds them for Radio Shack. It sounds quite OK on voice, just not very truthful on brass instruments.

What would be a good microphone...say, not more than $200 or so.

5. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Yep.. the microphone is a huge part .... but the interface is just as important. You might be able to plug in a mic into your computer but if it only has 8 bit resolution it's going to sound pretty crappy. Your choice is to go out and buy something like what was recormended.. decent USB mic that also has software or an audio to digital conversion box ( something like an M-Audio box) ... or a pro quality soundcard and a mic.
    My set up is Protools8.4 Profire 610 interface ... have an SM57 and a decent Roland mic .. here's a link of what it sounds like .. I use audio files to help with used trumpet sales .. let's people hear what the horn sounds like .. the horn on this link is a pretty cheap Couesnon Lafayette
    Footprints Lafayette Couesnon by coolerdave on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thanks for the info...nice recording, too.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    when you use the SM57 turn dorn the gain and get in really close to the mike... much warmer sound

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

What's needed to record trumpet well is a mic that can handle high SPLs (sound pressure levels). All mics that are sold have specs that can be looked at. A nice wide dynamic range with the ability to handle high SPLs is what you want for brass.

Here are some good choices from Sweetwater:

SHURE KSM 109. This is a small diaphram condenser mic. 20Hz - 20 kHz and max SPL ... 155dB. About $180.

AKG Perception 170. Another small diaphram condenser. 20Hz - 20kHz and max SPL ... 165dB. Around $140.

BLUE 8-Ball. This is a cardoid condenser. 35Hz - 20kHz and max SPL ... 150dB. Close to $100.

I'd go with one of those if my budget was $200. By comparison to the very widely used SHURE SM57 (a cardoid condenser), which is 40Hz - 15kHz and max SPL ... 140dB. (around $100). All these can be ordered from Sweetwater, a huge company that has very knowledgeable (and helpful) sales engineers. Plus, they have free shipping and a 2 year warranty on almost everything they sell.:thumbsup:

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011