Recording Software

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Paul Du Bourg, May 24, 2012.

1. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi Chaps,

Downloaded the free recording software "Audacity" which seems to be working fine.

The quality of the playback is however questionable using the *.aup file type.

Exporting the file to .wav improves the quality dramatically but still not that good and files are enormous ie. approx. 1 min = 35 Mb.

I'm just playing into the laptop so using the built-in pickups that utilize the Mecer generic recording software Realtek.

For a recording newbee am I going about this the right way?

What is the best method for getting the best available sound at minimal cost.

Maybe an investment in additional recording hardware/software is an option?

Cheers,

Paul

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I believe some people have had good experiences plugging a good-enough microphone into the microphone socket on the laptop and using recording software on the laptop but to be honest that group did not include me - either with the built-in microphone or an external one the sensitivity was too high and clipped the sound unless the laptop was a ridiculous distance away. With the built-in microphone I got some laptop fan noise included in the recording. It could be that I just didn't know how to change the recording sensitivity.

I bought a digital recorder (from Zoom, but there are other brands) which allows me to better control the input sensitivity and the recording is exactly the same as what I play. The recording I transfer to the computer from the Zoom's SD card.

Not the lowest cost but perhaps not too bad either, depending on what digital recorder you might select.

--bumblebee

P.S. once in the computer I usually use Audacity to further process the file as required.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You can try exporting to mp3.

You can choose different bit rates and find the quality/size balance you want.