Recording Studio Experiences

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Nov 16, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I did a search to see what was here on this topic, and other than some fairly old, semi-related threads, I didn't see much, so I thought I would start a thread where people can share stories and experiences when it comes to recording things in the studio. This doesn't necessarily have to be professional level stuff either - home studio recording is still studio recording, even if it isn't quite at the same level of the big boys.

I figure we could post about any and all of the following topics:

Stuff we've played and recorded
    Microphones
    Equipment - compressors, preamps, headphones, monitors, etc
    Techniques - room mic, horn mic, horn mic + room mic, etc
    Mixing/effects/EQ techniques
    Software
    Room treatment
    etc.

I'll bet Wilmer has A LOT of cool stories he could share about songs he recorded and how things were done and have changed over the years. :)

I just figured it might be a good topic - there are a lot of folks building some modest but fairly capable home studios these days, and we are at a place now where technology has given everyone the ability to do things that previously could only be done by spending money on a professional studio and sound engineer.

Anyone want to kick it off?

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Home recording is what got me into playing trumpet, I get some satisfaction out of being able to lay down a track even if I have to record it note by note.

I have a B2 condenser mic, and a single track mixing board/pre amp.

I mostly use the Jeskola Buzz audio tracker. I am somewhat high centered on this software since I wrote a plugin for it. However it is free and has a 32 band eq which is all you really need to get a good mix. Getting things done in that program aren't easy but learning a new recording studio would also be a pain and probably more expensive.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've had some interesting experiences with the studio - mainly on trumpet, but vocals and drums as well. The lion's share of it has been in a friend's home studio, which arguably is a pretty capable studio.

My first professional studio experience was with a big band I was with, and I was surprised at my level of nervousness knowing that what I was playing was being captured and would be listened to critically. It took a few sessions to get over that fear.

One of my "problems" I have doing my own projects in my home studio is the tendency to re-record over and over and over, because I want something to be as perfect as possible, and I'm just not quite hitting that elusive mark of excellence for how I think it should sound.

I do just about all of my horn recording on the tried and true Shure SM57, but I've got a pair of Audix small diaphragm condensers that I want to try at some point.

4. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I know what you mean. Balance is my goal when recording drums, trumpet, vocals, synths, video.

Only when I get it all put together can I know what the most important thing to improve is.

5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    The main problem I have with my home studio is that it tends to suck up time from everything else.
    I'm ashamed to admit how much gear I've accumulated,a nd I love to experiment with it all. But it's a huge time sink - especially my synths.

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I have an old Sony Mavica camera with a built in mic that can record a minute of video with audio, or I think 6 minutes of audio with one still.

I want to try putting something on YouTube but I hear it's pretty hard.

I think I'd be a lot more comfortable with an old disc-cutting setup, to make vinyl 45s, and I'd be in 7th heaven if there were a little studio in town here like Elvis first recorded in.

7. npulsipher

npulsipher New Friend

May 11, 2010
    Greeley, Co
    Recording is my guilty pleasure. Gear gets really expensive really quick, especially since I'm still a student, but I have a lot of fun experimenting and learning another trade.

I have a small mobile rig for recording recitals, audition cds etc. I do a little bit in my untreated apartment as well, mostly for my blog, but also just to hear what my playing sounds like.

I would love to build my own studio someday but building a decent sounding room gets even more expensive than the gear. Besides, there are plenty of decent sounding concert halls and churches in the area.

As far as time in the studio, I love it. If I weren't going to be a teacher that's what I would be doing. Sure doing take after take after take can be exhausting, but really rewarding to me.

8. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Yes, but the room is ever so important.

I think one of the things I would like to do someday, Is get together a good mobile recording rig, so that I can record tracks outside in the wild.

You can get some amazing effects in a forest or on a mountain, but capturing those are tough.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I hate to admit how out of date I am. In the very early 70s I did a little studio work. It was neat. Everyone was sectioned off with wall panels (sort of like what they build office cubicals out of today). There was some monster reel to reel -seems like 16 (?) track. Occasionally we would wear headphones when dubbing in separate from the group.

At home I had (and still have and use) a Sony 377 and a TEAC X-7R reel to reel recorders. Both capture sound nicely. I've even used them to record Stan Kenton concerts live.

So how are you guys recording today? On the computer or do they still use tape?

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    This will be a great thread Trickg ---
    recently I have narrowed down the equipment to a: Boss BR-600 Digital Recorder for simple multitrack "non" professional recordings to pass out to friends and such.

but I haven't bought anything yet -- but the Boss has a Drum function built in - which (as a non drummer) I thought might come in useful.

I will keep watching this thread for info.