Recording Studio

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ok all you technofiles, I need some help brothers (and sisters).

I need to know basica equipment needed to record myself and eventually other horns, rhythmn section, etc. But for now, just myself.

I need to know, computer programs, computer specs, mic names, cables, etc...

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    DOH! double post.....

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    It all depends on your budget.

For just trumpet recording, a minidisc and a good mic works great.

I mainly use the MD. But when i need i use a boss digital recorder like this : http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/gimages/Boss/boss_br1180.gif and i use a shure mic. That will do most of what you need.

I did a quick search on ebay and found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41480&item=7333900503&rd=1

Once i have it recorded i take it into soundforge 6.0 (sony now bought the program and has releases sony soundforge 7.0)

Then you can do wahtever u want, and burn it to a cd.

Thats about all i know, not sure on brands, but a good digital recorder with good mics should be what you need.

EDIT:

Actually somthing like this might work well also : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15199&item=7333912917&rd=1

4. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    I'll take the nibble. There are some basic questions you need to answer before you really start to spend money, but I will assume some of the answers and go from there.

My assumptions are that you want to record in one location (vice having a portable setup), are looking to record no more than 8 tracks simultaneously at any one time (a very reasonable assumption), and already have a decently powerful and stable PC (or Mac), which includes a CD burner.

Given that, you have to construct a basic studio with both Input signal flow and Output signal flow. On the input side, you need mics (to capture sound), preamps (to convert mic level to line level), digitizers (to convert line level to binary data for the PC).

On the output side, you need a Digital-To-Analog converter (to make bits back to line level), amplifier (to make line level to speaker level), and speakers.

So, what I recommend:
    Mics: Rode NT5 ($300 for a pair), AEA R84 ($1000), Shure SM57 ($90), Studio Projects C3 ($270).
    Preamp and D/A: Behringer ADA-8000 ($230)
    Soundcard: RME Hammerfall ($550)
    Mixing Software: Steinberg Nuendo ($1000)
    Speakers: Hafler M5 ($200)
    Amp: Hafler P3000 ($300)
    Miscellaneous: Cables, adapters, mic stands, etc. ($1000)

Total: $4900

Lotsa room for savings or spending money here. Questions?

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

5. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Sorry, I got carried away in my last post and didn't really answer your basic question.

For a basic setup to record, assuming you have the PC with a standard soundcard, just get a small behringer mixer (they have a nice little unit for about $70) and a shure sm57 mic and the cables to hook it all together. That will set you back about $200 to $250 total and you can check out some shareware like N-Tracks from www.fasoft.com to get you started.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

6. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005
  7. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005
  8. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I use my computer, the program Cool Edit (which works great), and a Sony ECM-MS957 microphone, I can make a pretty impressive recording with just that, hope this helps!