Recording suggestions

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by bigaggietrumpet, Feb 13, 2005.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, I'm looking for good, accurate recordings of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2, as well as Stravinsky's Firebird Suite (mainly Berceuse). We're playing them for orchestra this semester, and I'd kinda like to get a sound in my head of how I'm supposed to play.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Firebird is a great one to get a Chicago Symphony recording of (there are probably several, I'm pretty sure I've got one or two). Hearing Bud lead the way is always fun!

3. yesenia

yesenia New Friend

Feb 7, 2005
    Bloomington, IN
    Just two cents here, but I think it's a good idea to include Russian orchestras playing Russian music in your listening. They have a different approach to the music than do the Western groups and will no doubt help you make more informed musical decisions. Good luck to you!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You can find some great recordings on the NAXOS label too. They use (mostly) orchestras in Czechoslovakia, Hungary, etc. and there is no shortage of talent to be found there. I've picked up some great recordings for as little as $7.00 through that label.

(They're not only classical.... they have some really nice Jazz stuff and some Sousa, etc. under sub-labels as well). Their catalogue is on the internet. I know it's not directly related to the original question but you'd be wise to give them a look.

http://www.naxos.com/mainsite/default.asp

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I played Rach 2 last month and I only had the Naxos reording myself. Make sure though that it's the full Concerto. LOL, I accidentally bought a Rachmaninof CD but there was only the second mv't on this particular album so I had to buy another. (Not that I am complaining).

Cheers
    Eric

6. gordygourmet

gordygourmet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St. Cloud
    The Minnesota Orchestra's recent recording of Firebird is very good. I don't think you can go wrong with any Chicago or NY Phil recordings either.

Patrick

7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, so finding a legit copy of this stuff is proving harder than I first thought. All I can find on iTunes (which is about as good as I can do in a predominantly country/western town) that seems right is a Boston Symphony recording of Berceuse, and I can't even begin to find a good Rachmaninoff. Is the Boston Symphony recording any good (and by good I mean accurate)?

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The trumpet player during Berceuse sits quietly. It's a solo moment for the bassoon :cool:
    Wilmer

9. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Of course, you could quietly play along, and see if the conductor notices (the bassonist will, no matter what, however).

Seriously, if you can get your hands on the Stravinsky-conducted version (on SONY, I guess), you owe it to yourself to do so--yes, the playing is mediocre or worse, but wouldn't you want to hear, say, Brahms conducting his 1st Symphony if you could, for example....

10. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    sitting quietly during Berceuse....did I mention this was the 1919 Orchestration? Maybe that's where I'm getting confused at. At the top of the page, it says "Berceuse et Final", so maybe I'm looking for the finale. I dunno. I found London Symphony recordings of the Rachmaninoff, as well as Tchaikovsky's Slavischer (Slavonic) March, which we also happen to be playing. It's the wonderful thing about classical I guess, finding the right recording you want...