Recording Trumpet at Home

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Does anyone do their own recordings? What mic do you use?

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I have been recording in the Shed with a Zoom 2n and lately, an 8-track digital Tascam. I have a bunch of mics now ..... all of them were inexepensive and work fine for trumpet. So far, the mics are:

Blue Spark
    Shure SM-57
    AKG Perception 150
    Sterling Audio (really cheap)

Just about any mic works okay if you don't play right into it at close range. The best value is the Zoom 2n, as it has mics in it (5). For ease of use, nothing beats it and the sound quality is excellent.

Turtle

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not to hijack since this seems relevant, TJ have you ever heard of or used a BOSS MICRO BR? It's a digital recorder. It has time stretch capability which would be great for transcribing fast passages. Back to the OP, I've heard numerous posters say the Shure SM-57 was a good mike. You may want to send a PM to trickg. He is a sound guru/tech with horns and has some very good stuff AND posted it. He doesn't post much lately but still is active.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Time stretch??? As in, slows it down while maintaining the same pitch? If that's what you mean, it can be very useful. My ex, the violin player, has an expensive unit she bought years ago .... That technology is probably cheaper now. I've seen the Boss in ads, but that's it. They're supposed to be excellent.

Turtle

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I bought it for my son and he never used it. It's still in the box! It's definitely aimed at guitars but was going to try and use it with my horn. Yes, it slows the tempo w/o varying the pitch, so it says. I haven't used it yet (it's technical, need I say more). It has no mikes but lots of inputs.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Right. Those are useful. She used to slow a really hard piece down, practically to a crawl, to learn it (at pitch), than gradually speed it up. It would be great for transposing solos.

Turtle

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    "Amazing Slow Downer" is great software (for PC, Mac, or iPhone - iPad)... It does this slow-down and speed up thing for practicing super fast licks a bit slower or transcribing.

I use a Yamaha W24 digital recorder for practice and band rehearsals