recording trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daveblue222, Jan 5, 2010.

1. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    i am going to be recording some simple trumpet parts soon for some songs im working on. whats the best way to do this? the room i will be recording in has wooden flooring. i have an sm58, a large condenser samson c03 (multi pickup pattern) and a pair of behringer c-2 stereo condensers at hand. so nothing special in the way of mics. i want a more mellow tone rather than bright, and a far off effect.

any tips suggestions?

dave:play:

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    What will you be recording the trumpet onto? A separate recorder, like a hard-disk recorder with mixer, or through an audio interface into your computer?

The best way to do it is to practice in the room and see if it's got a decent sound to it. If it doesn't then you'll have a tough time making a decent recording in that room. If you want a mellow tone and your trumpet playing doesn't have a mellow tone, then you'll have to do it with effects, which often makes things sound worse because they can leave artifacts behind. The far off effect is relatively easy to achieve -- use a bit of reverb or echo to create the feeling of distance, and make the trumpet part softer, such as it would sound if farther away. (You can leave off the doppler effect which makes distant instruments out of tune with closer instruments.) But changing the tone can cause problems -- record your sound as dry as possible and do the rest with effects, but try to keep the effects usage as low as possible. EQ would help to make your tone more mellow -- often just lowering the midrange can make a tone more mellow. If that won't do enough, decrease the treble.

Good luck.

3. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    thanks for the advice, will definitely try e.qing in the way you stated. I am going to be recording through my presonus firestudio project in cubase se. using a mac

PreSonus

its preamps are relatively quiet and I have a bunch of plugins i can pay around with.

dave