Recording your playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kevin Hilman, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I am very interested in improving my playing by recording myself during practice sessions at home. I have been told by others that listening to recordings of yourself can really help in identifying problems you may not be aware of while you are actually playing (wavering time, inaccurate rhythm, questionable pitch etc..).

My problem is this.... I am not up on the current technology and am wondering what type of recording gear I should be looking at. I would like the biggest bang for the buck and was wondering if any of you have suggestions at what equipment I should pick up.

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Webbsta

Webbsta New Friend

Nov 9, 2005
    Dallas
    There are several options available. It depends on what you may have already, how much you are willing to spend, and how much you are willing to learn.

My first question is, where do you do your practicing? At home, or in a practice room at a school? This will dictate whether you need a mobile setup.

#2 - Do you own a computer? Desktop/Laptop? There are several inexpensive solutions if you have already made the big drop on a computer.

Jason

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
  4. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    I think that the best option is a mini disc recorder.

5. haveatake

haveatake New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Las Vegas NV
    I have finally aquired the gear I need to make a decent home recording. I decided that I didn't need editing because, like you, my main reason to record is to listen to myself, and improve my playing.
    I have about $500.00 into the equipment so far. I got most of it on ebay.
    Here's what I have:
    Yamaha 12 channel mixing board
    ART digital effects processor
    DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate
    DOD 31 band 2 channel eq
    Oktava condenser microphone
    JVC CD burner

You obviously don't need all this equipment. You can start with a CD burner and a microphone. I highly recomend eventually getting a mixer and a compressor. The mixer will give you more flexibility and the compressor will allow you to record closer to the mic, giving you a better representation of your true sound. An eq is nice to have to "tame" the room.
    I will eventually need a 4 channel headphone amp if I want to record with other people.
    I haven't tried it yet. My brother-in-law is going to help me set it all up and eq the room with a spectrum analyzer this weekend. I am going to record myself with some play a long CD's to see how well it works.

This is a more expensive way to go than using a computer, but it is portable, so I can record in different places. The computer will give you editing abilities, but from the sounds of it, you are looking to record yourself to improve your playing, rather than have a "produced" finished product. In my opinion, recording "live" will be more of a benefit for you.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Smart music is an excellent option.

I would also recommend using a program called Audacity. It's a free open-source program that will do very well, for no cost at all. It works on Windows, Linux and Mac (not sure about OS 9; I have X.4 and X.3)

I think you can find it a sourceforge.net. That's what I use.

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Are there any Mini-disk recorders with Multi-track capabilities?

For example, if you wanted to record yourself playing with Aeborsold?

8. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    mp, mini disc players just record whatever it picks up on the mic. you could play the aebersold out of a decent speaker system and get results.

9. Rick P

Rick P New Friend

Nov 19, 2005
    Graham, WA
    I haven't figured out the quote box yet. Anyway, I'll echo what tpter1 said about Audacity.

I've used Audactiy on Linux and it works, is reasonably powerful as a sound editor and is relatively easy to use. It gives me a simple way to record my Come-Back progress and does a decent job even with the lousy built-in laptop mic.

I just picked up a MAC PowerBook and I'll be trying GarageBand before loading Audactiy.

Here's a link to Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Good luck

10. Webbsta

Webbsta New Friend

Nov 9, 2005
    Dallas
    Garage band is really easy to use, but dosen't give you many options as far as mixing goes.
    For instance, the trumpet recording preset places a good amount of reverb/compression on the track.

Jason