Recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bubbaone2, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bubbaone2

bubbaone2 New Friend

Aug 3, 2008
    Last weekend I got a recording mic, stand, and some great recording software... We had a problem with the software. But, we got it fixed. Any tips for recording trumpet?

2. ejaime23

ejaime23 Pianissimo User

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston,TX
    If you're semi serious, spend the money on a good recording interface for your computer. You can get a decent one for about $200 that's USB plug, or spend the extra cash on a firewire one. M-Audio and Tascam both make really good ones for good prices. I've made a lot of good recordings with budget computer gear.

3. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Experment with mike placement, different placements will give you a different sound. Make note of the placements that you like and go from there.

Recording tends to pick up every blemish in your playing. Your playback may sound like crap, note what is worng and go back and work on it.

Most of all have fun!

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    +1 This is 90% of the battle.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I get the best recorded sound when the cardioid microphone is slightly off center from the direction that my bell is pointed. A large diaphragm condenser mic gets a great sound about 40" from the bell. If you move around when playing, you may have to put the mic even further away to keep a steady sound.

If you are recording in a good sounding room like a church hall, I like my sound with a cardioid pattern mic at about 15-20 feet away or an omnidirectional mic at about 8-10 feet.

You can't break anything, so what I do is at best a starting place for you. Once you have played around for a couple months, post your experiences. That helps us all!