Recordings and high register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Jan 17, 2005.

1. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    In addition to just playing lead, symphonic music is climbing into the upper register as well. At UNM last semester, our wind symphony performed John Adam's "Short Ride in a Fast Machine." By no means a commercial or lead piece, but it has high D concerts, and is consistently above high A concert for nearly the entire piece. (we played it on pic, which I believe is pretty standard, though the wind band arrangement calls for cornets and trumpets.)
    This year we are playing a piece by del Tredici called "Wartime" that also goes up to high D concert.
    As trumpet players as a whole get better, more is demanded of us, and one of things (BUT NOT THE ONLY THING) that we have to get better at is being consistent in the upper register.

As far as building up the range, I say practice the Arban's, or whatever etude book you are comfortable with, and begin raising the excercises by half steps. This not only stretches your range, but helps your transposition. But take it easy, make them musical, not just squeaks. Keep the sound consistent all the way up.

Just my two cents.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I went to a rehearsal last night and another trumpet player had a bunch of V cup mouthpieces. I tried a couple and it seemed to work. I had my piccolo with me and I played easily to G.

I didn't care at all for the tone quality. Maybe I will get one and try it for a while. When I can play on it and I know it will work I will send it to the Monette shop and see if they can make a piccolo mouthpiece that shape for me.

Thanks again for the help!

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    TM vibe... TM vibe... TM vibe...

Bravo!

ML

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    haha :lol:

5. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Hey there guys...

Its been a while since I've been to TM but I noticed this subject and I wanted to ask a question...

I really love to play trumpet... well as a beginner still... I love to play but one day I will REALLY love it even more when it starts to sound good :-)

Okay... I'm teaching myself right now and I finally decided to get another mouth piece. I had my original Bach 7C. I've been talking to a Jazz trumpeter in Oakland CA who said that I could try a 3C to see if playing is easier. So far I have to say its like night and day. Now I'm trying to sight read and hear correct tones at the same time and it seems like the are coming together much easier than with the 7C. The 7C requires more pressure and a higher pitch comes out... where the 3C seems to allow me to learn the tone without getting tired so fast and the tone is more ... well stabble for lack of better terms...

What want to know is this a fair assesment ? ---
    Also... how much of basic / beginer music is played in which register ?
    and is the C ( below the bottom line ) through the C ( of FACE) considered 1 register ?

John

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "Okay... I'm teaching myself right now and I finally decided to get another mouth piece. I had my original Bach 7C. I've been talking to a Jazz trumpeter in Oakland CA who said that I could try a 3C to see if playing is easier. So far I have to say its like night and day. Now I'm trying to sight read and hear correct tones at the same time and it seems like the are coming together much easier than with the 7C. The 7C requires more pressure and a higher pitch comes out... where the 3C seems to allow me to learn the tone without getting tired so fast and the tone is more ... well stable for lack of better terms...

"What want to know is this a fair assesment ? ---"

Dear JL,

Welcome back, first of all. I applaud the courage it takes to blow through a recalcitrant piece of tubing merely for your own joy. Bravo!

Second, consider this: who decided that a 7C should be the beginner mouthpiece? I'm sure some thin-lipped person who looked at it as some average mouthpiece based on G-d knows what.

By moving to the 3C you have given yourself a bit more room to play around and are playing on a rim that is not quite as sharp gving you a bit more mobility. You are in control more so than you were before the switch.

"Also... how much of basic / beginner music is played in which register ?
    and is the C ( below the bottom line ) through the C ( of FACE) considered 1 register ?"

The term you mean is one octave rather than one register when you go from one note to the next note of the same name. That is, C to C, D to D. Much of the music for those starting out is indeed in that register or range. It would be nice if you could find another player to play duets with you. The ones in the beginning of the Arban's duet section are perfect for you right now. You can play second and be very satisfied if the other player is a good one.

Good luck,

ML

7. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Thanks ML

I really appreciate the tips... I'm hoping by late spring I can learn about 2-3 songs that I could play when we have company over. Something short, jazzy and simple. I don't know what just yet so if know of a cute tune or two, even something you've created that would be a nice goal, I would appreciate any scraps you dole out :-) Right now I'd be happy to be able to play a jazzy rendition of happy birthday on my sons birthday in April.

Thanks again ...

John