Recordings: Hindemith Sonata / Neruda

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by JackD, Jul 18, 2004.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Which recordings of these pieces would you recommend? I notice Wynton has done a recording of the Hindemith - is that worth picking up?

Thanks.

2. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Jack,

For the Neruda check out Ole Edvard Antonsen's recording on EMI. It also has the Haydn and Hummel.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    get thomas stevens for the hindemith.

4. trptjoe

trptjoe New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Hindemith Recording

I tend to recommend the Wynton recording for one very specific reason: I think that it's the best and most easily heard recording of the accompaniment. That's not to criticize Wynton, who plays it well enough, but, unless you already can play the piece with Smart Music or a recording without clamming an entrance, listen to this one.

Joe Lill

5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

For the Neruda, try the John Wallace T for Trumpeter CD . I have the Wallace edition of the Neruda which I am working on at the moment. Mr Wallace doesn't record exactly what is printed, not sure which came first, recording or edition.
    Wynton's recording of the Hindemith is also pretty good too (maybe some tuning issues.. probably the "focused" sound of the Monette C he used... :shock: ) The CD On the Twentieth Centry also includes other standard rep such as the Honegger Intrada, Tomasi Tryptyque, Stevens Sonata , Enesco Legende and Bozza Rustiques. Well worth it!

6. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I like wyntons Hindemith. I recently did a performance assessment of the 1st movement and based it on Wyntons but I prefer it at a slightly slower tempo of 112-116. the hard thing is playing with an accompanianist so find one that can play it and enjoy working out who plays when! (I found it tricky towards the end keeping tight with the pianist) Its a great piece isn't it?
    MM