Recovering from lip bruise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ahenderson, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Ahenderson

Ahenderson New Friend

Oct 16, 2008
    I got bashed in the upper lip unfortunately and got a tiny bruise a couple of months ago (4-5) and I can still feel some sort of tiny mound inside, I'm wondering if it actually hinders my playing and if I could do anything about it. I've been playing for around 6 years, and would hate to stop progressing somehow.. Thanks a million.

2. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    If you are serious about playing, I would highly recommend finding someone near you who knows the Stamp method. It has helped many seasoned players get back on their toes after injury.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Wow. 4 - 5 months sounds like a long time. Mave you asked your doctor about it?

"I would highly recommend finding someone near you who knows the Stamp method"

What is the Stamp method?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you have a daily routine, you know immediately if something is worse.
    If your playing is pretty close to what it was before, I would not think about it anymore. Just practice softly (the best way in any case) and play!

5. Ahenderson

Ahenderson New Friend

Oct 16, 2008
    Hm, true, I should probably stop fretting then, alright, I'll try doing more clarke exercises, so I can be somewhat reassured : ) . Thanks a bunch for the replies!

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Just remember to do the Clarke exercises softly.... very softly.... very very softly.... very very very softly.... and even softer yet....

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I had the same thing happen to me when I was in high school, busted my upper lip open inside and out and formed a scar inside and out ,I had no endurance because the scar tissue would begin to swell after 10 ,15, minutes, my teacher at that time suggested I move my mouthpiece so that the scar was in the cup not under the rim while I dont believe in changing mouthpiece placement, some times it is neccessary. This happened back in 1967 and have had no problems since then.

8. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    what's a stamp method?

9. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Does anybody have a clue what the stamp method is?

10. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    The stamp method is one in which you just play anyway and stamp your feet when the pain gets too much for you.
    While in college in 1975, on Saturday before leaving for a two week tour on Monday morning at 4:00, I (I won't elaborate) got a huge cut inside my upper lip. My upper teeth tried to climb out my mouth using an alternate door. It was nasty with quite a lot of swelling and bruising. This was a promotional tour for the college, and I was the lead. This was sort of my rock band that the school more or less hired or forced into duty for everything it needed. I went on the tour, and at 8:00 A.M. I was performing at a school before a pretty influential trumpet pro! I got plenty of attaboys from him and standing ovations from the crowd. I also kept Bayer in business those two weeks. Learn to play with NO PRESSURE. If you have to shove the mouthpiece into the back of your throat to get a note, it AIN'T in your range. Practice without a mouthpiece at your lip for a SOLID half to full hour each day along with your regular practice with the horn, and you will build an embouchure that will be incredible. You'll know you have begun to make progress when you can produce a tone without the mouthpiece, hold the tone, and slowly bring the trumpet softly to your lips. You should hear an uninterupted tone changing from the lip buzz to a clear tone. After you've worked out this way for some time, try hanging a trumpet from a string or wire by the middle valve, or where ever yours will balance (make it secure so it won't fall). Without touching the horn with anything but your lips, see what tone quality and range you can get. Practice this way for a while every day. It will make you the best you can be as far as tone and range is concerned.