Recovery from surgery

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amzi, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Thanks for the info, Amzi. Goes to show the value of taking an HPI; "history of present illness", which of course I couldn't do.
    If I might comment on your comment, I only suggested GERD because it's been implicated in AF, and also because based on what little information I had it seemed logical as an etiology for the AF. I hope you will print out my little erroneous analysis and let your cardiologist read it.
    About playing your horn, you might want to think about staying below G above the staff for a few months if you want to return to playing sooner than advised. That will attenuate pressure on the diaphragm and abdomen a bit. Just think about Chet Baker. With occasional exceptions he played mostly in the lower register and made memorable music. It could be a good opportunity to explore that avenue for a while.

T/

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Ed--I don't snore and I don't have sleep apnea. People have been trying to give it to me for years, but they haven't succeeded yet. I have asthma and have been diagnosed with COPD, but I don't require oxygen. With the exception of occasional asthma symptoms my only real problem is a lack of "vital capacity". I only have about 75% of "normal" lung capacity--but I am able to work around that. Hope everything goes well when you visit your doctors.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I was off for the longest 3 months of my life after getting my diaphragm sewn back up. If you are in a hurry, just think about the option of it tearing because you leaned on it too early. After 3 months I had the opportunity to restart just like I successfully teach others. It was a great lesson!

Your doctor may be right about air in the stomach. I don't know any trumpet players that don't fart......

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hang in their my fiend. It WILL get better. I had a near death experience that had me loose nearly 30 lbs and it has REALLY helped me. God's way of telling me to slim down I see it. And my trumpet playing has never been better as a result, I truly feel this. And the only other thing I can recommend is Sotalol. I am having great luck in my afib patients with this medication and that's now lie... Get it afib... no lie. Yeah. Humor in medicine goes a long way. You will too sir by playing the stress away in or out of church.