Recovery Rate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Aug 7, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    After one day of not playing, how long dies it useually take you to recover? How about 2 days?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    At my age, I never recover. It's just downhill all the time.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yup. I drilled a physical therapist, and the rule of thumb is that it takes twice as long to build muscle than to lose it.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    That will totally depend on the person. If I've been playing pretty hard for a long time, I usually feel stronger after a day off. I usually feel like whatever the time off was, it takes half that many days to feel normal again (four days off, two to be myself again), but I very rarely take more than a day or two off in a row. But I also have a friend who plays lead on salsa gigs and says that if he hasn't played for two weeks, he's fine, but any longer than that, and he'll need to practice for the gig! You just never know.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    For me I normally feel good about thirty minutes into the next playing session, but if its a longer period such as the one I am recovering from now, it takes about a week, and its been three weeks.

6. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    Hey, I'm a Physical Therapist.

My $0.02 on recovery. Let me start by saying, I've only been playing a short period of time - but I've treated athletes and performing artist for 15 years. So, I am not an expert trumpet player, but I know a little about evaluating neuromuscular disorders.

I know there is much debate on this site about this, but I believe trumpet playing is very similar to being an athlete. No sport is pure muscle, all sports require strength, endurance, and flexibility (in the muscle elasticity sense).

However the most important component of any sport is neuromuscular coordination. From what I've experienced over the past year is trumpet playing requires a LOT of neuromuscular coordination -tongue level, breathing, muscle strength, embrouchure, fingers...the list goes on. And thats just the technical side. Add the musical component, and the brain has way too many things to think about at once. I continue to be amazed by what needs to be done in order to produce music on the trumpet.

You will not lose the muscle strength component in one day or even one week, from my experience strength loss doesn't begin until about 2 weeks.

Losing the neuromuscular component will vary depending on how long you have played. Obviously the longer you have played the more 'automatic' it is for you (meaning you've put it all together). Being a novice player, I need to think about almost everything whenever I pick up my horn. If I take more than a day off, it takes me a week to put it all together again.

The more time you put into any activity, the less important the muscular component will be, because the neuromuscular component is ingrained into your nervous system.

Since I've treated more athletes than musicians, here's a football (American) analogy:

Think about a football player that has to learn 100 different plays. He drills them every day until they become automatic. If he takes a day off there may be some hesitation when executing plays, but will probably be able to pull it off. Take a week off, he may still be just as strong, but it may take a few days until the plays are automatic again. Take a month off, you're talking about 4 - 6 weeks to return to that automatic execution.

Now if you're a rookie, it will take you a lot longer to relearn that playbook than if you're Brett Favre.

Trumpet playing requires much more fine motor skills (vs. gross motor skills) than most sports, so it will probably take longer. From a new players standpoint, its very frustrating. From a PT standpint its very interesting.

Sorry for the long winded post. I could go on and on, but I'll stop here...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
  7. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    It took me two days to recover after not practicing for two days. Is it normal for your lips to not perform well, and vibrate weirdly? That's what happened to me after two days.

8. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Here is what Doc Severinsen used to say.

If I miss one day of practice, I can tell.
    If I miss two days of practice, my band can tell.
    If I miss three days - EVERYONE can tell.

As for recovering:
    Missing one day of practice will not set you back any length of time, as long as you were practicing consistently before.
    Two-days and you will need two days to get back. Three days, three days. After three days, all bets are off. you might need a week or more.