Recovery time from heart valve surgery

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by siarr, Jun 1, 2008.

1. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Hey, folks,

I'm going in for this operation (aortic valve replacement) this thursday. Was wondering if anyone here has undergone a similar procedure, and if so, how long was it before you were able to start playing again. Thanks in advance for any input.

Best,
    Chas

2. hornished

hornished New Friend

Jun 11, 2007
    Hey Chas, first of all I hope everything goes OK with your surgery .Nine years ago I had a triple By Pass heart surgery. As I remember just about a month after it I was playing softly, and my Doctor said it was a good exercise for lungs and heart. No more than two months after I was playing normally, and I kept doing it all this time, never having any kind of heart trouble. Wish you luck and good playing.

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I had triple by-pass almost three years ago followed by complications. After I got home from the entire thing I began playing after several days. However the complications kept me there longer than usual, so perhaps I was more "mended" when I finally got home. I started with soft Schlossberg, melodies from Arban and eventually Stamp studies.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!!
    Roy Griffin

4. Catalan

Catalan New Friend

Nov 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    The best to you,hope things go well
    cheers,
    Bryan

5. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    Don't know about recovery time, but good luck to you with the operation.:thumbsup:

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I can add my name to the list of those who have needed bypass surgery. A few years ago I had a quadrupal bypass which precipitated my trumpet comeback. My cardiac surgeon was an old friend and knew that I had played the trumpet many years ago. He was of the opinion that going back to my horn a week and a half after my surgery would be excellent deep breathing therapy. Using Carmine Caruso's breathing execises I find that I have had no further cardiac problems, except that I require a bi-pap breathing machine while sleeping to get adequate oxygen into my system to counter sleep apnea.

OLDLOU>>

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Siarr,
    we are rooting for you! A speedy recovery!

8. hornished

hornished New Friend

Jun 11, 2007
    Anyway, playing like Maynard or Cat won´t be the most indicated.

9. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Many thanks to all for the good wishes and encouraging stories. Don't worry, I won't be playing like Cat or Maynard - even if I could! Robin, hold the fort!

Best wishes to everyone! :^)>

Chas Reskin