recovery

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by music matters, Jun 16, 2006.

1. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Manny,

I had an operation on 31 May - a routine one under General where they straightened and increased my channels up my nose to my head sinuses so everything can drain away and I can breathe better etc as I was having bad ear/throat infections and sinus problems.

Anyway I have been gently getting back into playing and everything is fine apart from when I go above the staff (just top G and above) I feel a pressure at the top of my nose and a slight headache above my eyes. I then of course back off and am hoping that over time I will return to normal. The surgeon says I am fine to play trumpet. I am guessing that the presuure to play higher is causing this.

It does feel a little "different" playing trumpet now - I hear my sound slightly differently (perhaps vibrations are different in my head - but this is not a problem and i am sure that I will adjust - in actual fact I think I can hear more detail in my tone which is a positive) but I wondered if you could advise me on whether I am doing the right thing starting to play again gently hoping over time it will improve, and whether you, or you know someone, who had a similar operation and could give any advice on recovery in terms of trumpet playing, and how i should approach it.

Best regards,

Graham.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Graham,

I'm glad your surgery was a success. good to have you back.

My simple advice is to follow the words of the great, old cornet soloists and practice very quietly and lightly until you find yourself back on firm ground. Approach trumpet playing with the simplicity of whistling a casual tune and away from the instrument get back into some deep breathing both in and out.

ML

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Graham,

I've also had this same operation, and the advice Manny gave you is right on. I was off the horn totally for 3 weeks, to make sure everything healed properly. You are right about the pressure building as you ascend into the upper register. Be aware of what you are feeling, so you don't cause any damage in your sinuses. Soft, easy playing until you are totally healed.

I would guess that the surgeron told you to irrigate your sinuses with warm saline solution. Do this religiously, as it will help flush out old blood and clots (sorry to be so crass, but that area needs to be kept clean). And be aware of any pressure or discomfort in your inner ears.

Take it easy, and good luck...

Mike

4. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Thank you very much Mike and Manny. Yes I have the saline solution to irrigate! I will take it easy as you both suggest - I think I was rushing in a bit quickly.

Take care,

Graham.