Recovery

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JLoyalist, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JLoyalist

JLoyalist New Friend

Jan 30, 2011
    TX
    Hey everyone :-)

I just recently had some dental work done and there is a good amount of stitches in my mouth right now :shhh:. I was just wondering what tips everyone here has for getting back in the flow of playing once i start to pick up the horn again in a few weeks. :play:

One of my teachers recommended that i just start slow the first couple of days back with some light mp buzzing for 10mins 2-3 times a day.

2. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010
    I had a wisdom tooth removed and 4 stitches were required. I played again two days later. It worked okay for me. I just was not able to blow as hard. I played slowly and with extra attention to the amount of air and pressure I was using. Bottom line, you should ask your dentist how to proceed.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Seek advice of your physician and dentist ! I've been recently undergoing oral surgery to dig out roots and had stitches. I was advised not to even use straws or even breathe extensively through mouth. As I want to eventually get a full upper denture and play again, I do as the dentist and doctor advise me.

4. JLoyalist

JLoyalist New Friend

Jan 30, 2011
    TX
    My dentist told me it should only take about a week before i can start playing but i'm going to play it safe and wait about 2.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I had a quadrant opened and scraped and played five days later. Luckily, there was no real discomfort and there were no repercussions. I might be the exception, though. I did a recording session once 6 days after a double bypass.

6. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
  7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Check with your doctor even though most don’t understand trumpet players and when you start back guard against any pain or discomfort.
    It is always best to work on the mouthpiece alone for a while to guard against too much mouthpiece pressure. Some can play at once and some take time.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit