Red ring and indents on lips from mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandgeek147, Oct 10, 2010.

1. bandgeek147

bandgeek147 New Friend

Oct 9, 2010
    Well, whenever I play my trumpet I get a red ring from my mouthpiece. I also get a pretty bad indent of a circle from my mouthpiece as well. This indent is on my lips and just above and below them where the mouthpiece touches. Also, I have a small sore below my lower lip where my mouthpiece touches....I've had it for about three weeks....it used to look like a little scab...I picked it off twice but it game back...I just picked it for the third time the other day and now it just looks like a little red mark and it is a little bump...I guess it's like a callous....Does anyone else experience something similar? My private lesson teacher says that it is fine....If I end up playing for the rest of my life, will these marks become permanent? Also, most of the time when I am not playing or anything I have two small white marks on my upper lip where the mouthpiece touches...it isn't noticable though unless you look for it. Could there be any kind of tissue damage or anything eventually? Thanks

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    You sound like you are using way too much mouthpiece pressure.

You *may* also have some kind of a metal allergy going on - nickel or silver.

You may try a mouthpiece that's a better grade of silver (even sterling has some nickel in it and nickel allergies are common) or gold-plated (gold plating is pretty, but it has a lot of functional uses in various objects) try for 24K plating if you go that route.

3. bandgeek147

bandgeek147 New Friend

Oct 9, 2010
    Well, the red ring and indents do go away....except for those two little white marks that aren't noticeable....and then that little sore below my bottom lip...

4. bandgeek147

bandgeek147 New Friend

Oct 9, 2010
    Also, I've been playing for about 4 1/2 years...a couple years ago I would occasionally get a faint red ring....I didn't used to really practice though...Now I practice everyday and this sort of extreme red ring and indents didn't start happening til last year....

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Read Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A red ring and indent can be pretty normal. It is not always a sign of excessive pressure. I have a permanante ring on my lips. It's been there for all of my 42 year professional career. The only way you can tell if you are using too much pressure is to have an experienced teacher watch and hear you play

7. markquinn

markquinn New Friend

Jun 9, 2009
  8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Exactly the same with me. I have a permanent ring that is often red anytime of the day.

9. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    Ew- don't pick off the scab.