Red rings, all that bad?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by JackTheMusician, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The red ring is normal. Just wait until the scar tissue starts. Then it gets fun!

2. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Well so long as the red rings aren't anywhere else on his body, I think I'd be taking a quick trip to the doctor if that were the case! ROFL

3. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I can confirm they are on my lips haha!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The red rings are proof that trumpet playing is an irritant. For some it irritates the lips. For some players the irritant is for all other musicians around them.

As long as the ring is red, you are OK. When it turns blue, you need to reduce pressure.

5. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    And don't forget to start breathing again :woop:

6. Donald trumpet

Donald trumpet New Friend

Jul 8, 2017
    Algonquin Illinois
    I get those rings around my lips and I call the red ring of shame

7. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Forte User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    I get the red ring after playing for a few minutes but it fades fairly quickly, depending on how long I was playing. I really can not remember if I had the red rings in my younger playing days, but my lips are 50 years older now. And if I played with less pressure I would not get a good seal, so the red rings are just the side effect of hard steel on soft lips in my case.

8. Rickyroughneck

Rickyroughneck Pianissimo User

Apr 22, 2012
    It never has the chance to the stage of having rings, but I find my top lip deforms very easily (I feel like it is shaped in such a way that the top of the top lip juts out at a high angle) which negatively affects range and flexibility. I get this more in the low register than high which I attribute to the increased amplitude. Indeed I have only ever hurt my lips pumping out ff somewhere around bottom of the stave in brass band. Nowadays if I am tired, I just hold off the dynamics to allow for as little pressure as possible.

9. pss

pss Piano User

Jun 14, 2016
    Luxembourg
    Just looking at the title I thought this post was a red herring, but no, it's legit.
    What we do with our lips playing trumpet is a bit unnatural, our body reacts in different ways; my favorite is the small overdeveloped protuberance some people get right in the middle of the top lip, it's looks very ... tingly.

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Even with the slightest pressure, I get a red ring almost immediately. Always have.

GeorgeB likes this.