Red Rot

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, I have been offered an Olds Recording for $300. I played this horn a few months ago, and absolutely fell in love with the horn. Why would someone with such a good horn (And no good backup horn) suddenly want to give this horn up?

He blew a hole in the bell.

Yeah, its red rot. Pretty sure the bell (And most likely, the horn) is junk, now. It really, REALLY, REEEAAAAALLY pisses me off, how someone can be given such a good horn (FOR FREE), and allow it to go to hell like that....

Oh well, I am still going to ask. Is it possible to repair the bell? Is it possible to recreate the bell? Could you PM me with any initial estimates of such a job, Leigh?

Thanks for your time. The more I think about it, the less I plan on pursuing the Recording (I am really wanting a large bore, light weight), but this could be either the final nail in the coffin, or the saving grace (Or at least a little glimmer of light in a dark tunnel)....

Van

2. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    It's possible to fix, but it's a pain in the ass, and it might affect playability. Your other option is to contact an instrument maker to fabricate a new bell for you (Kanstul, Chuck McAlexander at the BrassLab in Manhattan might be able to help you out)

3. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Sorry Van

I've been away for a while

Yes most things like this can be fixed, but i would have to see a fgew pics of the damage to be 100% on this!

Wether it would change the sound is another thing and would of course only be known once this work had been carried out.

It could be a costly trial!!!

I would not buy this horn to be honest, i bought a recording for 550 on ebay just a short time ago.
    Yes it was beaten up, but only requires a full overhaul to put it right and then it will be pristine.

I'd wait and keep your eyes open for another that simply needs some TLC, not a life saving operation!

Best Wishes

Leigh

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Aye, I have no desire to purchase it, anymore.

GAAAHHH, I forgot to get a pic of it!

I swear I need a secretary!!!

Van

5. jpkaminga

jpkaminga Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2004
    Boston
    I got a Olds today and I'm worried its got red rot, its raw brass and its mostly a very nice patchy greenish gold but there's little red spots here and there, they look like they're just on the surface and the horn plays beautifully so it doesn't matter so much right now but I'm worried about the effects of time and what should be done in the time between now and some refinishing,

6. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi

If you are worried at all and the horn is raw, then try rubbing just a little brasso or polishing cream over the red spotted area to see if it lifts the marks!

If it does you should be fine, it may just be some old dirty deposits from age.
    On the other hand if it does not vanish no matter what you do then there is a good chance that it is in fact red rot.
    Red rot as many have stated before will not go away, it can be made tolook like it has by the polishing process, but it will always return several weeks or months later.
    The only cure is replacement parts, but by the sounds of your problem you would not need anything like that.
    We will all probably be long gone before that horn is :lol:

Just look after it well and wipe it down from sweat after playing.
    Sweat left on the surface of any finish or raw horn is not good at all!

In the future you may want to get it overhauled and re-lacquered to as original condition as possible, this would at least ensure the life of the horn further than leaving it raw forever.

I am working on 2 Olds Recordings from my own collection at the moment.
    I may well have them completed before Christmas? If i do i'll let you know and send you some pics of what they can look like after being loved a bit.

Regards

Leigh

7. jpkaminga

jpkaminga Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2004
    Boston
    thanks

finally picked up some polish, and the spots go away quite easily, seems there's not much to worry about for now, i'll be looking into some refinishing options at some point in the future though, thanks for the info