Red Rot

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by G-MAN, Sep 18, 2006.

1. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    My LA Benge has developed a case of red rot in the lead pipe and the tuning slide. Is red rot traditionally found in these locations or can I expect it to be found or starting in other parts of the horn. I am trying to make a decision if I should be buying a new horn or having the parts replaced on this horn. I have had this since new(1974) so it is a tough decision. I am concerned that it will not play the same and if I do these repairs can I expect to replace more parts of the horn down the road due to additional red rot. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    G-Man,

Although red rot can happen in other parts, it is most likely in the leadpipe and main slide. If you really like the horn you could have Kanstul restore it to better than new condition for a lot less than a new Kanstul Chicago (which is based in old Benges).

Greg

3. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    Greg,

I had thought of having it done at Kanstul but I can't be without the horn for that long. I play every week so need the horn. it would be bad enough to have the work done locally and wait the two or three weeks. The silver plating is still good so it does not really need that done as it is still 90%. The place that does the work say they use original parts so I would confirm that they are obtaining these from Kanstul before I would go ahead and have this done.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, another option is to buy a new Kanstul Chicago 1001 and sell your Benge as it is. You could probably do it for not too much more money than getting the Benge redone (assuming you sold your Benge for a decent price).

Greg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  5. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi,

I have a 1978 LA Benge that developed the same problem. Parts replaced and sound better because I was losing air through some pinhole leaks. New leadpipe and tuning slide repair plus labour was about $200. Buy an Olds Ambassador for your backup horn or for resale for $150 when your baby comes home. Total nut= $200 - 400.00.

Your trumpet is probably due for replating as the Benge s/p is quite thin. Send it to Charlie Melks at Charlie's Brass Works or Kanstul and get a complete overhaul overhaul and you're good for another 30 years!

Cheers,

Brian

6. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    My first thought was that you might be able to get a loaner instrument while they work on yours. They must know you are a pro and need the horn.

Trax

7. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    Brian,

Did you have your Benge fixed locally or did you send it out for the work? I have thought of having the horn totally refinished but the plating is still reasonable. This horn has both a 1st and 3rd valve triggers which is rare and the only plating loss is on the ring for the third valve trigger and a little on the bottom valve caps.

Trax,

I am not a pro but do play regularly in a community jazz band and concert band as well as in a brass quintet.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Gary, have you talked to Don at http://brassandwoodwind.ca/ in Victoria yet? He does all of the work for the Vic. Symphony players. I only mention him because I know he has an extensiver repair facility and I don't know any of the folks who might work out of Vancouver.

Ed

9. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    Hi Ed,

Long time since I have talked with you. I have not spent much time on line the last few months as I have been busy in a new position at work. I have not spoken to Don at brassand woodwind but I had emailed them earlier this week about a used piccolo trumpet they had for sale. I have been playing a lot of brass quintet lately and the need for a piccolo keeps cropping up. I have been looking for a good buy on a used one. In regards to repair guys a couple of the local ones here in Vancouver are friends of mine and I have also talked with another one on the issues with my Benge. I am not rushing into this repair decision as I want to make sure it is what I really want to do. The desire for a new horn(EclipseMaybe?) keeps tugging at the old heart as well so not sure where I want to spend the money.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hi Gary.

There is a quintet here in Lethbridge and one of their players mentioned that they'd just had to buy a Yamaha Pic (from Ebay). I saw the one on Don's website and was wondering about it... no idea what the guys paid here. Yes, it's been a while! We've premiered another piece by H. Cable and been told that there is a third presently in the works! No idea when/if we'll be recording again but we've got Jens coming to visit us in the spring and we'll be the demo band next month at the provincial Music Educator's Conference.

You know that there is an Eclipse dealer not that far south of you now? It's http://www.brawbrass.com/ in Seattle although I know virtually nothing about them. Still, it's probably your closest bet for a "look-see, play-hear".

I've had past service/parts dealings with Kanstul... and can say nothing but good things about their customer service. So if you do have to send the horn away, it'll be in good hands with them. Unfortunately it'll probably take "a month of Sundays" to get it back through customs!

Good luck with the Benge.. or whatever else happens to land on your trumpet stand!

Ed