Red Rot

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by G-MAN, Sep 18, 2006.

1. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    Ed,

I knew about the Eclipse dealer in Seattle but have just not had the opportunity to get there. One of my friends in my band has just recently ordered a marcinkiewicz. He went down to Portland and play tested for a couple of hours. He should have his horn by the end of October. I asked him if he tried the Eclipse trumpets but he had his heart set on the Marcinkiewicz so he did not bother. I am sure he will love his new horn.

2. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi Gary,

I have had several jobs done by Charlie Melks and have been very pleased with the results. I would also suggest Mike Paulson in Seattle for your Benge repair work. He is a former Claude Gordon student and is very familiar with the Benges.
    I am sending mine to him for a valve alignment and some tweaking. He is available through Metropolitan Music. Super nice guy to work with, great communication and turnaround time. Bet you could get your horn done in less than a week if you call him.

Cheers,

Brian

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i don't know whether it will affect anything on the benges or not, but i have had red rot problems on my bachs. i had both leadpipes replaced 7 years ago, and will need to do so again (starting to see the pitting) i am looking at getting gold brass leadpipes, as for what ever reason, they don't rot the way yellow brass does. have read that and noticed it on my getzen. don't know whether you can get a benge leadpipe made that way. (am looking at replacing them with najoom leadpipes when the time comes on mine, but i don't think he makes them for benges)

4. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    So my horn went into the shop today. Getting a new lead pipe and tuning crook shipped in from Kanstul and also having a couple other minor things fixed. No dent repair needed and silver plate is better than 90% so no other major work required. I feel like I have lost an arm without my trumpet. My fluegal is also in for a chem clean so down to borrowing a student yamaha trumpet and also using my Olds Special cornet. Hope to have all my horns back in the fold soon.

5. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Has anyone ever obtained a physical/chemical analysis of Red Rot?

Maybe pizza with garlic is the cause?
    Maybe it is coffee?
    Maybe it is a by product of smoking?
    Maybe it is natural in all horns that are not cleaned out or washed out on a regular basis?
    Maybe it is.............................age of the metal?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My Bach 72* got it after 3 years, I kept it clean(bathed it once a week), never ate garlic(that has changed with age), only drank tea and have never smoked. I bought the trumpet new. The replacement mouthpipe did the same thing. I think there are some brass alloys that are more vulnerable to the acid or whatever is in saliva and some players that have more aggressive body juices than others.

Actually, I prefer to think that my breath support is so superior that I blew the holes into the leadpipe ;-).

7. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Well, when was the last time you had a blood test?

Do you drink at least 10 glasses of water a day?

How is the acid level of your blood system?

Liad Bar-EL

8. G-MAN

G-MAN New Friend

Nov 21, 2003
    North Vancouver
    Well I picked up my trumpet today with a new lead pipe and tuning crook installed and a few other minor things done and it plays well and am very happy with the work. The repair guy is also a trumpet player and he played the horn prior to replacing the lead pipe and thought it was an amazing horn and with the new lead pipe he felt it played even better. The horn has been all cleaned as well and polished and now it looks brand new. I have owned this horn since 1974 and it really does look as if it just came out of the factory. Looking forward to playing it with the bands I play in.

9. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Great to know you had it repaired and that it looks like new. I bet you missed that thing.

Let us know how it sounds.

Liad Bar-EL