Red Rot

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Graham, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    A colleague of mine from University is getting a new horn. The reason? He has Red Rot in his leadpipe and apparently other places too...

This brought me to the realisation that while I know it's bad, and I know vaguely what it does, I do not, in fact have any idea what it looks like, or how to spot it!

What should one look out for? Does anyone have any pictures?

2. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    It is like rust is to steel in this case it's zink migrateing out of the copper. It happens due to the chemicals in your mouth and lungs flowing through the horn. Best way to prevent it is too clean often. Usualy the leadpipe and tuneing crook take all the abuse and the rest of the trumpet is normaly fine. Red Brass and Rose Brass are supposed to be greatly resistant to it as is nickle and silver finish's. Pure Copper is almost immune to it as well. This is one reason I say the heck with perserveing a horns collector value in most case's and say plate it up in silver,gold,nickle,even copper to prevent or greatly slow down the Red-Rot. It will look like redish-pink spots on the inside and the outside of the trumpet as it can start in either place. I have one trumpet that needs a new leadpipe and one that needs a new tuneing crook. Both are student models fromt he 1960 and the 1980's. My almost worn out Silver Holton from 1946 has no signs of any corrision at all even though it's valves have most of the nickle silver worn off them and it is dinged up and has seen more use and abuse then most peoples trumpets would see in 10 lifetimes. THe different is that the other two are just lacquered brass while the Holton is silver and nickle.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    This is from the Physics page of the Bethany Brass website.

About Red Rot

It will explain "Red Rot".

4. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Question, is it possible to see red rot under silver or gold plating? Or they are just there but you can't see them?:dontknow:

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In the advanced stages of red rot the plating over the afflicted area, usually at a joint, will bubble and start to peel.

OLDLOU>>

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    What model Yamaha was it? :-) Just kidding......

7. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    curious if anyone has decent pictures of red rot as a google search for this is quite unproductive.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I've tried to take pictures of the inside of a leadpipe, but none turned out.
    I think you need a special camera. When you clean a leadpipe with red rot after
    its dry you will see a line of irregularly shaped "craters" in side the pipe where the zinc has left the brass. Its not pretty, and it doesn't take long to happen.

A couple years of not cleaning and drinking pop just before (or God forbid, during) playing will lead to red rot.

Oh, and the brand matters not. Brass is brass.

9. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    so you really only see red rot on the interior of the piping? i'm just curious because i have an olds that has a bit of a reddish hue on the outside of the third slide close to the valve body. i'm scared to death that it's red rot, but have no basis for comparison.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    No, you can see it come to the surface if its really bad.

Get yourself a little flashlight and take a peak in there.