Reducing Tension

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Terrizzi, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Terrizzi

Terrizzi New Friend

Oct 18, 2010
    Jacksonville FL
    Just to clarify, the excercise involves playing as quiet as possible a long, second line G. Then play an F scale using zero pressure and as quiet as possible up as far as you can go. I can reach a G above high C. It does not sound great, but that is not the point.

When playing normally (the Haydn concerto) I do not get dizzy at all. Only during this excercise. I could probably make myself pass out if I kept pushing it. I should record myself doing this and put it on Youtube. I may encourage young drug addicted youths to seek this new high though.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There is no such thing as playing trumpet with zero pressure. Minimum pressure, yeah, but not zero.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tension is part of life. It serves as protection from many unnatural situations with the body. Learning to play the trumpet involves retraining many of our learned body motions. Dizzy comes from pushing to hard.
    Zero pressure is not a goal that I share. I play to sound good and would rather sacrifice a bit of range than some theoretical body state that may not even be suitable for your or my type of playing.

My advice is not to devote as much time to high rather give the lions share to making music.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What he said. :D

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Markie sez----To this I disagree. I see no signs or previous posts that would suggest that this person is a "Paralysis from Analysis" type. He told us a fairly "run of the mill" the problem.
    What you're suggesting is exactly what he's doing and, in doing so, dizziness occurs.
    In time, maybe this individual will be seen as a "overthinker/underachiever."
    However, time is the arbitor on that one. Let's hope they take what they've read, and apply it for a reasonable length of time(at least a good honest couple of months).---------

I too have experienced this problem, and I say it is breath, relaxed playing,and not straining, BUT in regards to the poster -- let me take a middle of the road position. I work on my upper register and have this problem sometimes -- it is almost gone now. In the past -- I actually had to sit down (relax if you may) to play in the upper reg, gradually I started standing up for a few notes, then a few lines --- anyways when you "feel" relaxed standing up as I am when I sit down --- that is how the dizziness disappears --- It's NOT the Vulgano Brother Ray of Power --- but it is HOW I seemed to fix the "relaxation" dizziness problem.