Reeves Mouthpiece Comparison

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by CJDJazzTpt, Jul 6, 2004.

1. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Does anyone know what size Reeves mouthpiece is compatible to a 3C?

Other mouthpiece comparisons to a 3C?

Thanks,

Cory

2. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    43C or 43S, the 43C has a more classic round sound, the 43S has more brightness.

3. CJDJazzTpt

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    That's the one I was looking at and I just wanted to make sure.... Thanks

-C-

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    See signature :D

My humble gift to the trumpet playing community .. a comparison chart.

5. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    How about

Schilke 14 = Reeves 43 rim. depth? not sure. the 42m feels slightly shallower than a Schilke 14.

Schilke 14b= slightly deeper than a 43s. (shallow)
    Schilke 14b harder to play than a 43m.

The Reeves 43s feels shallower than a Schilke 14a4a.

I switched from a Schilke 14 to a 43m and now a 42m and shortly, a 41m.

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    What is interesting about mouthpiece inside diameter measures is that they only tell part of the story. They are at best rough comparisons -- but a place to start anyway. Some always think that this mouthpiece feels bigger or smaller -- and it does. I know a couple of very good players who play a Bobby Shew. I couldn't make a sound with it!

But at least size gives you a starting point from which to work.

Jim

7. CJDJazzTpt

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Dr. Jim,

The reason why I asked for a comparison was because I just wanted a mpc very similar. I play on a Custom Greg Black right now and there's no way for me to ever get the same thing unless I have my mpc digitally scanned.... I am not into doing that. I wanted to get a Bob Reeves so I can basically get the same RIM and just buy different underparts of different cup sizes. That way as soon as I get used to my 'new' rim I wont have to change rims for a while but I can use different cup depths to suit the job. Since I play on a Calicchio trumpet I know Reeves pieces work well with them. I tried one about a year ago and I couldn't get it off my mind for months (it was either the 42S or 43S I cant remember).... Now I am just going to switch cold turkey over my 2 week vacation. I am going to lock myself in a room and not leave until I am totally acclimated to the new piece.... I just might have to send the piece back until I find the right rim size. I talked to K.O. today from Reeves and I settled on the 42S as a 'starting point'...... Thanks for the mpc chart. That must have been painstaking work to get that together. I am suprised more trumpet mpc makers dont have pieces equivalent to a 3C....
    One suggestion for your mpc comparison chart might be that you find other pieces that have RIMS similar to the Bach 3 rim.....That would help a lot of players looking for a similar rim that want to try different cup depths.... Maybe you have something like that already.... If so, nevermind the suggestion..... I'd be happy to assist you anyway that I can! Just let me know.

Cory

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Both the trumpet and the trombone mouthpiece charts were a lot of work. I got frustrated looking at ten or twelve tables to compare a few mouthpieces. Some, especially for the bone, had DEAD wrong info. Frustrating for players. I took the time to put together the charts -- my small contribution (they get about 700 hits a week).

Similar rims is so subjective. It is a wonderful idea, but would require playing a awful lot of pieces by several players. Being Ed Psych and Reasearch guy, I know that to get a good base for opinions would take about 10 to 15 players for each Bach size on all the close mouthpieces. It would be a grand, and fun project. I just need a grant to buy all the mouthpieces :shock:

Others have suggest I make a chart using cup volume. That too would be very interesting, but would require measuring an awful lot of pieces. Some companies do list what the rim "feels" like. That is why there is a link back to the company site for all the mouthpieces on the chart.

Jim

9. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    Jim, funny you mention the bobby shew. i play with two guys that use them and have a very sizzling lead/commercial sound with them. I was going to mention it but couldn't spelll marcenkio...

I think the 43s was the same way for me. A ripping sound, glass cutting sound. I need more cup depth.

I'll be interested in hearing if he can play the S without bottoming out or having a too lead sound.

I know guys that compensation for the ES by using smaller rim diameters. and they sound great. Especially on silver liteweight Vraptors.

10. CJDJazzTpt

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Mark935....

The whole reason behind ordering the S cup is to get a lead sound. I already have a mpc that takes care of everything else. I cannot play the ES cup because I would then bottom out. I think I can get away with playing the S cup.

Once I acclimate to the piece I am going to get different underparts for it.... C cup....M cup....etc,...

Dr. Jim - Thanks again for the comparison chart. It's a great place to start and it helped me out a lot. I am not a big fan of changing mouthpieces but need a lead piece so I am gonna make the change. (it's all about having the right tools for the job) I too would eventually like to get down to the size 41 Reeves but I am going to make the change over a period of time.

-C-